cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacOS Finder - how can I add Dropbox back to the sidebar?

MacOS Finder - how can I add Dropbox back to the sidebar?

Auskan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Before I upgraded to Catalina (MacOS 10.15.5), Dropbox appeared under my favorites in the sidebar of Finder.  After the upgrade, it was gone.  I've searched many threads where this is apparently a common issue but the solutions appear to be for earlier versions of MacOS as the view I am seeing under Catalina does not match the solutions.  I understand folders can be dragged to the sidebar.  The problem is, I am not seeing the folder on the right, in order to drag it into the sidebar.  I tried the "go to folder" but it only navigates to the files within the folder - it never shows a folder labeled Dropbox.  I have the Dropbox App installed but it isn't helpful either as when I click on it, it opens a Dropbox window that, again, shows the files I have stored there.  I want to be able to easily move files to Dropbox or access them to attach to an email, as I could before I "upgraded" to Catalina (which is starting to feel distinctly like a downgrade).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TRKelley01
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you so much for getting back with me! After I inquired I contacted Apple support. When they could not help me, I came back to the Dropbox help community and continued reading. Another individual was having the same problem and discovered that Dropbox was in another location in the MacOS Finder. I looked in that same location, but did not find it. However, I decided to just keep looking and discovered that it was located in my MacOS Finder under "Network". I have no idea how it ended up there, but was able to successfully return it to its original location in my Finder Sidebar.

Again, thank you for reaching out; and thank you for providing this forum from which we can get answers. Even though it was somewhat indirectly, I was able to fix the issue because of Dropbox Community.

Blessings,

Tim

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Auskan, I hope you're well today!

So that you can drag the Dropbox folder into your Finder's sidebar, please try the steps below:

1. Open your Finder window.
  2. Choose "Go" from the menu bar in the top right of your screen.
  3. From the menu, choose "Home".

From here, you can see the Dropbox folder in order to drag it into the sidebar.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Auskan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Brilliant!  Easy and it worked.  Thank you so much!

waldbach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I came here via a search. I just changed to a temporary Macbook and when I drag the Dropbox folder to the Finder window Sidebar, it will not sit. No matter what I try, even tried different sections.

What can I do to solve this? Is this a macOS issue?

Catalina 10.15.2

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @waldbach, do you see the little bar when you try to drag it between folders, and not as a subfolder on the sidebar?

What exactly happens when you drag it there?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

waldbach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I see that bar.

But the problem is solved now. Apparently it was already (by default?) in the sidebar, just higher up where I did not expect it.

Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @waldbach, glad to hear you were able to locate it!

Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

WhitBradley10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Daphne, 
What if my Dropbpx folder isn't in that section on the right? 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @WhitBradley10!

Did you possibly choose another location for the Dropbox folder to be placed either during the setup of the desktop app, or through the app preferences?

If you're not sure, can you follow the steps below and let me know what file path you see for the Dropbox folder's location?

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the Sync tab.

Please feel free to send over any screenshots too, excluding any personal info.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dweinapple
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I recently upgraded to Catalina and seem to be unable to move Dropbox to Favorites in the Finder sidebar.  The only way I can see the contents of my Dropbox folder is to click on the Dropbox icon in the top right of my Chrome browser, then click on the file icon within that visual menu (see screenshot), and *then* the finder opens with second level of Dropbox folders.  This is definitely not ideal.  Is there any way to move Dropbox, which is now a "smart" folder, into the Finder Favorites in Catalina or am I just out of luck?  Thanks for any help with this.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 10.48.01 PM.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    TRKelley01 Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?