cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MacOS Sidebar icons - use Dropbox icon for enclosed folders

MacOS Sidebar icons - use Dropbox icon for enclosed folders

tallrob
Explorer | Level 4

I try to use the Sidebar in MacOS sparingly but effectively, and having the shortcut to the Dropbox folder is very useful. It's easy to find because it has a custom icon, the Dropbox icon.

However, I've also put favorite shortcuts in the Sidebar for folders enclosed on the Dropbox folder, and they get the generic folder icon. Normall that's ok, but since I'm seeing the Dropbox icon there, it would be logical to denote all Dropbox folders the same way. Does anyone know a way to do this?

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @tallrob, thanks for posting on the Community!

As the Dropbox folder is added to the system, it's given the Dropbox icon to distinguish it from other folders. 

Any subfolders within Dropbox would only have the normal folder icon, and it wouldn't be possible to change this either via the app or OS.

If you have any further queries, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tallrob
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks Jay. Is there any way to get someone’s attention to make that possible? It would make a ton of sense to do so.

Jay
Dropboxer
We implemented a fix in a previous version of the Dropbox desktop application that ensures consistent folder icons and file/folder permissions for items in the Dropbox folder.

This means that custom folder icons would be removed, in general.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tallrob
Explorer | Level 4
Not sure that answers my question. Again, to be clear, I’m talking about the sidebar icons, not the folder icons show inside a finder window. They’re monochrome and often don’t have the same appearance as their Finder counterpart. For example, a “shared” Dropbox folder has the three figures inside the Finder icon, but appears as a plain folder in the Sidebar.
Need more support?