cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Macbook menu bar] How to get Dropbox app search bar back

[Macbook menu bar] How to get Dropbox app search bar back

philodrendronmoonrise
New member | Level 2

Hey, as indicated in this Dropbox search article under "How to use the desktop app search bar", there is an option to click on the Dropbox icon on a Mac menu bar and search Dropbox. There used to be a search bar, but now that is gone (see screenshot). I wasn't able to figure out how to get it back via preferences. I thought it was being hidden by the sync status bar, which I can't seem to remove either. Does anyone know what to do to get the search bar back? I am on Big Sur 11.2.3 if that helps.

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 1.15.04 PM.png

I understand I can still open up the fuller Dropbox app but that defeats the purpose of a quick search and using Dropbox as storage for all my files rather than save to my computer.

Thanks! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: [Macbook menu bar] How to get Dropbox app search bar back

Rich
Super User II

@philodrendronmoonrise wrote:

Dropbox icon on a Mac menu bar and search Dropbox. There used to be a search bar, but now that is gone ...

Either they've decided to remove it (and haven't said anything as of yet) or it's a bug that's cropped up in the latest beta releases. You can post about it in the thread that matches the version you're running.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox icon on a Mac menu bar and search Dropbox. There used to be a search bar, but now that is gone ...

Either they've decided to remove it (and haven't said anything as of yet) or it's a bug that's cropped up in the latest beta releases. You can post about it in the thread that matches the version you're running.

philodrendronmoonrise
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich! I didn't realize I was a part of early releases. I was able to get the search bar back by opting out of early releases and re-downloading the desktop app.

Giuliano Bertello
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich! I didn't realize I was a part of early releases. I was able to get the search bar back by opting out of early releases and re-downloading the desktop app.

Where do you see this from? I have the same problem, across platforms the search functionality is gone!

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Giuliano Bertello, thanks for joining the discussion here and welcome to our Community!

If you'd like to turn off the early releases, you can do it via your account's settings online

You may then need to install our latest stable version of the desktop app through this page

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Giuliano Bertello
New member | Level 2

Found it! I had no idea, search is now working again!

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 14.17.12.png

Walter
Dropboxer
Glad to hear that, Giuliano!

See you around the Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Giuliano Bertello New member | Level 2
    philodrendronmoonrise New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?