cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making files available offline on PC

Making files available offline on PC

chenj33
New member | Level 2

For folders I've selected under selective sync, I want them to be available offline on the PC. Right now, I see the folders and files on the PC, but the icons are gray and I can't open then when offline. 

Solved: as commenter mentioned, you have to right click the folders (can select multiple folders at a time ) and select smart sync -> local

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Making files available offline on PC

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @chenj33,

Seems you are using not "Selective Sync", but "Smart Sync". Can't you select "locally" on files/folders you want? :thinking:

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @chenj33,

Seems you are using not "Selective Sync", but "Smart Sync". Can't you select "locally" on files/folders you want? :thinking:

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello there @chenj33

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

When you selectively sync a folder, you remove it from your hard drive, but not from your account. 

For this reason, if you want them available on your computer, ensure that you haven't chosen them to be selective synced.

Once they are downloaded locally, you can access the content even if your desktop app isn't running. Please note though that any updates you make inside your Dropbox folder won't be applied to your account until you launch the desktop app again. 

However, you mention that:

@chenj33 wrote:

I see the folders and files on the PC, but the icons are gray and I can't open then when offline. 

Could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the icons so that I have a better visual of this?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?