cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage Headless dropbox deamon and standard GUI version

Manage Headless dropbox deamon and standard GUI version

Domenico S.2
New member | Level 2

I have updated an ubuntu linux 12.04 to 16.04.

Version 12.04 has standard GUI install of dropbox which occasionally seems to stop working but could be considerated working.

After update I tried to install headless version which, as I read after, cannot be configured as fine as standard GUI version.

Unfortunately upgrade linux version broke some GTK library and I'm not able to access standard GUI version anymore.

Now it seems that both dropbox version are running.. is this possible?

Obviously the right way to solve the problem is a new fresh linux install but, in the meanwhile, I'm try to manage the actual situation.

It seem the both standard GUI version and Headless version are running. Standard GUI start as I tried to lunch from X (even thouht I cannot see the interface), headless start running as user login in (so I must stop it every time... I should try autostart command to prevent this behaviour!).

Looking at running processes with top command I see many dropbox processes, how can I distinct standard GUI ones from headless one?

I installed headless versione using apt-get, if I try to uninstall this could affect GUI version also?

Thanks to everyone could help me

1 Reply 1

Re: Manage Headless dropbox deamon and standard GUI version

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Domenico S.2, thanks for messaging today!

Generally, it wouldn't help to have two versions of the Dropbox desktop application running on your Linux machine. 

The best solution would be to uninstall both apps, and reinstall the app you do want on your machine.

Bear in mind to check the devices page to ensure that you would be under the device limit when you uninstall the apps, if you're on a Dropbox Basic plan.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?