cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ManagedClient memory usage keeps growing while Dropbox is open

ManagedClient memory usage keeps growing while Dropbox is open

arthens
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox client: 101.4.434

The problem began after upgrading to the latest version and enabled online-only file sync. I never had memory problems before.

I noticed ManagedClient was using a growing amount of memory and google brought me to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/ManagedClient-process-consumes-so-much...

As other users described, ManagedClient disappeared after closing Dropbox.

Memory usage seems to increase in a linear and constant way. Nowadays I keep Dropbox closed for this specific reason and only open it when I need to access a file. I must have forgotten to close dropbox after I last used it, because this morning ManagedClient was using 44GB of RAM (yes 44, you read that right. Most of it was swap memory of course, because I only have 16GB of RAM). Whitin 20 seconds of closing Dropbox the process completely disappeared.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ManagedClient memory usage keeps growing while Dropbox is open

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @arthens, just jumping in here!

Would you mind reinstalling the desktop app to see if that helps with the issue that you're having here?

We did have a recent update for the app too (v.102.4) so this will also ensure that you're running the latest stable version.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @arthens, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Since you mention that you've been through this thread, you've also made sure to have a look at this article, is that right?

If so, could you also let me know if you've found that this behavior persists after closing third party apps, like security and antivirus software? 

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

arthens
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil 

thank you for your response.

That article seems to be focusing on high CPU usage, which I've never experienced. The only thing it says about memory is that there are several factors that could contribute to it, but the only one it mentions is the number of files. I'm only using 3% of my space, and I mostly use Dropbox to store my photos so I don't think I have a particularly high number of files.

I tried restarting my laptop and making sure that all apps are closed, and yet memory usage of ManagedClient is still increasing at a rate of 11MB per minute.

Not sure what else to try?

arthens
Explorer | Level 3

By the way, memory usage doesn't seem to be related with syncing because I tried pausing it and memory it still going up (it's at 705MB now)

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @arthens

Since you mentioned that you're seeing this occur in your ManagedClient, could you confirm if you have the Dropbox desktop app running on a server? 

Could you also try clearing the cache to see if that does the trick?

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

arthens
Explorer | Level 3

Since you mentioned that you're seeing this occur in your ManagedClient, could you confirm if you have the Dropbox desktop app running on a server? 

I'm unsure what this means, but I don't think so. I'm running the dropbox client on my laptop and nowhere else.

Clearing the cache didn't seem to help, as soon as I started the Dropbox client memory usage started to go up at the same rate

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @arthens, just jumping in here!

Would you mind reinstalling the desktop app to see if that helps with the issue that you're having here?

We did have a recent update for the app too (v.102.4) so this will also ensure that you're running the latest stable version.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

arthens
Explorer | Level 3

After completely removing Dropbox (files too, I decided to go online-only) and rnstalling the newest version, the problem seems to be gone. ManagedClient is now only active 50% of the time, and never takes more than 5MB of RAM.

Thank you for your assistance!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @arthens!

I'm glad to hear that reinstalling did the trick for you there. If there's anything else that I can help with, feel free to give me another nudge here. :grin:

Hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?