cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ManagedClient process consumes so much memory it causes a kernel panic

ManagedClient process consumes so much memory it causes a kernel panic

maritimeseven
Explorer | Level 4

Starting about a month ago, the macOS Dropbox app has started consuming an abnormal amount of memory by way of the ManagedClient process. It'll climb to over 10GB of memory (not disk space) and eventually cause the machine to restart itself.

Has anyone else faced this issue? I've verified permissions, uninstalled and reinstalled, enabled and disabled Smart Sync... nothing helps.

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @maritimeseven - sorry to hear about this. 

Since you are experiencing high CPU usage from our desktop app, you may want to review the following article first which covers common causes of high CPU usage and the steps to resolve these: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage 

If you are unable to resolve your issue with this information, please let me know (a screenshot would also help our investigation in that case) and we'll take it from there.

Thank you.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

maritimeseven
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply! 

I've tried those steps (including checking for symlinks) and I'm still faced with this issue. In the screenshot below, you'll see the ManagedClient process running. It's up to 4.05 GB in that image and is already up to 4.64 GB as of typing this reply.

The process will disappear if I quit the Dropbox app.

Activity Monitor_JM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the swift response and screenshot @maritimeseven - most obliged!

From what I can tell this issue is not related to Dropbox whatsoever as this process (i.e. the "ManagedClient" one) is not coming from us. 

Just to make sure and isolate this issue, could you please try quitting the Dropbox application by using the following steps? 

• Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar
  • Click on the gear icon :gear: in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox"

Should the problem persist when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application. You may want to check other applications or components of your Operating System that could be causing this.

In any case, please keep me posted on your findings. Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

maritimeseven
Explorer | Level 4

Excellent. I did quit the Dropbox app which keeping Activity Monitor open. About 5 seconds after quitting the Dropbox app, the ManagedClient process disappeared completely from Activity Monitor. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Funny thing what you mention @maritimeseven - would it be OK if I reached out to you via email to the address you use for your profile here so we can look into this together with all of my tools available? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

maritimeseven
Explorer | Level 4

Yes absolutely. Reach out anytime. Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Roger that @maritimeseven!

I just sent you an email so we can have a further look into this. 

Check your inbox for my message and we will take it from there.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation so far.

Cheers!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

emclain
New member | Level 2

I just had a very similar experience... ManagedClient was using 8 GB of memory.  I quit Dropbox and ManagedClient disappeared.  Thanks @maritimeseven !

Dom4
New member | Level 2

I'm experiencing the same issue - quitting dropbox removes the ManagedClient process, but as soon as Dropbox restarts the process starts up again and the RAM starts growing at a rapid pace (between 30 and 300 MB every 5-10 seconds).

Every few minutes it grows over 11 GB of RAM and throws up an OS 'out of application memory' warning and eventually kills and restarts the process.

It is very disruptive!

Need more support?