cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping Dropbox to network drive in Windows 7

Mapping Dropbox to network drive in Windows 7

Peter C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to map Dropbox to a network drive and link to my Dropbox in the cloud versus the Dropbox on my computer. I want to conserve my hard drive space and access, open, and save files to my Dropbox through my network drive. I can do this with other cloud-based storage systems. Can I do this with Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

No, it can't. The normal Dropbox client does not work the same as the mobile clients, and there's no way to map a virtual drive or folder to your Dropbox account.

If you're running Windows 8 or 10, you can install the Dropbox app from the Microsoft Store, which is a mobile client. Just know that you will not be able to access any files while offline (unless they are marked as a favorite/available offline).

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Sorry, Dropbox isn't supported on network drives.

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

Peter C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm not trying to put Dropbox on a network drive. I'm trying to have a virtual drive on my PC point to Dropbox in the cloud so I don't take up space on my hard drive.

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

It won't work, Dropbox doesn't support symlinks.

Andrew T.33
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a similar concern---was there any solution to this application?

I'd like to map a network drive on my PC that accesses my dropbox so I have access to the files when connected to the internet, but do not necessarily have to have them permanently downloaded to my PC. This becomes critical when as my drobox size exceeds that of my hard drive.

Brett G.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I bought a new laptop with a smaller HD because I thought I would be able to do this too. I appreciate Dropbox automagically syncing files between my PCs - which have plenty of hard drive space to spare, but my laptop does not have this luxury.

I don't want to use selective sync because that will only allow me to view the specific folders/files.

Most simply stated, can Dropbox on my laptop act the same as Dropbox on my phone or tablet?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

No, it can't. The normal Dropbox client does not work the same as the mobile clients, and there's no way to map a virtual drive or folder to your Dropbox account.

If you're running Windows 8 or 10, you can install the Dropbox app from the Microsoft Store, which is a mobile client. Just know that you will not be able to access any files while offline (unless they are marked as a favorite/available offline).

Brett G.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich, thank you for the reply. I am running on a Surface, so your suggestion for the Microsoft Store app is a great suggestion that I will try later today.

Joe S.65
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Are there any plans to use Dropbox as a mapped drive? 

Not being able to map a network drive limits the functionality of Dropbox as a cloud storage solution.

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Are there any plans to use Dropbox as a mapped drive? 

Dropbox don't publish their product roadmap, but as they're pretty clear it isn't supported I doubt it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Oleg1 New member | Level 1
    Wayne J.8 New member | Level 1
    hemancuso Explorer | Level 3
    Victory D. New member | Level 2
    Mark V.17 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?