cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Southweststucco
Explorer | Level 4

When I go to open any excel or work files from my computer it only gives me an option to open the *online* version, not the version that opens up into a new window. I paid for all the software of microsoft, not sure why this happeneed, I am sure it is a quick fix but I have no idea what to do. 

I cant do anything until i fix this!

HELP! ASAP!

32 Replies 32

Re: Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Southweststucco - have you tried downloading the files you want to work on and open them locally on your ( Windows I imagine) computer?

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Rich
Super User II

@Walter wrote:

Hey there @Southweststucco - have you tried downloading the files you want to work on and open them locally on your ( Windows I imagine) computer?

That doesn't really answer the question. The option to open a file in the local copy of Office no longer appears on the website. The only option is Word/Excel Online, or if it's a Word doc, the ability to copy it to Paper.

The available options todayThe available options today

What happened to the option to open the file in the locally installed copy of Word or Excel? This option was previously available if you had the Dropbox client installed and the file was synced locally. That option is no longer a choice in the Open dialog.

The options previously availableThe options previously available

It's as if the website can no longer detect that the client is installed (and thus, that the file is synced locally), so it doesn't present the option to open the file in the local copy of Office.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for pointing this out @Rich !

Microsoft has recently removed the ability to add Dropbox as a place in Office 365 - documented here, that is probably why you don't get that option any more. 

Having said that, all users should still be able to edit their files using the Open button on our website. 

Hope this clears things up - I'm also looking into this myself (as it's pretty recent) and I'll make sure to let you know when/if I got any more information about this.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your day! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Southweststucco
Explorer | Level 4

That is exactly what is going on, but I cant work without it being synced.

So what are my options now? How else can I have microsoft word and excel synced?

This really hurts.

Rich
Super User II
The ability to add Dropbox as a location shouldn't have anything to do with this. One is a function of the Dropbox website and client, the other is a function of Office. Also, the option you linked to talks about Dropbox as a place in Office Online. That's not what we're asking about.

The specific feature we're asking about is shown in the screenshot above. Previewing a supported Office file and clicking the Open button would give you the option to open the file in your local copy of Office. This did not require Dropbox to be added as a place in Office. In fact, I've never added Dropbox as a place and this still worked. This relied on your computer having Office installed, having the Dropbox client installed, and having the file in question synced to your local Dropbox.

Southweststucco
Explorer | Level 4

HI I dont really understand your reply.

I want to be able to "open in excel 2016" and "open in word 2016", not in online.

Is this actually never going to be available again?

Rich
Super User II
My reply was directed at Walter, trying to better explain the issue.

Ross_S
Dropboxer

Hey folks,

The Open button allows you to either open the file locally, or via Office 365. If you are not seeing the option to open locally it's because the file isn't present on that machine.

Can you ensure that Dropbox is running firstly, however the most likley issue here would be that you may have Selectivly Synced out that file. To confirm the status of the file can you visually locate that file on the actual machine and then confirm it opens without issue.

Many thanks.

Rich
Super User II

Hi @Ross_S,

I don't use Selective Sync on this computer, and the Dropbox client is running. The option to open the file locally does not appear. This is occuring on multiple computers.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?