cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Southweststucco
Helpful | Level 5

When I go to open any excel or work files from my computer it only gives me an option to open the *online* version, not the version that opens up into a new window. I paid for all the software of microsoft, not sure why this happeneed, I am sure it is a quick fix but I have no idea what to do. 

I cant do anything until i fix this!

HELP! ASAP!

32 Replies 32

hollymchargue
Explorer | Level 4

Jay,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try to answer your questions accurately. Forgive my non-technical knowledge. 🙂

This happens when I click on a link that's copied from a shared Dropbox folder. In fact, I'm the owner of one of the folders and have edit access on the others. As recently as last week, I was able to click on that link which opened the file preview in Dropbox, and had the option to click the Open/down arrow button, which opened up a dropdown menu that allowed me to "Open in Word" for example - depending on file type.  

More recently, when I followed that process, I only get the Open button and when I click that, it prompts me to use Microsoft Online (for Word files).  I have the option (...) to download the file. When I do that, it saves to my Downloads folder so then I have to save as to the original Dropbox shared folder. (See screenshot below)

I'm accessing these files on a Macbook where the files are also located and the Dropbox app is installed. I believe the application is installed and running properly. Is there a way to double check that? 

The files are synced locally. I am able to navigate to those folders on my computer and double click to open the files. 

I'm using my business account to access these files. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the details, Holly. What browser are you using to access the Dropbox site, Safari, Chrome, Firefox?

If it’s Safari, and you’re not seeing all the options there, try enabling the Flash plugin by first downloading it from Adobe’s site, and then enabling it in the Safari preferences page as per here. You’ll need to quit and reopen Safari completely to see the changes.

If you’re using Chrome, or have any issues with this, let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hollymchargue
Explorer | Level 4

Using Chrome. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you try the steps in the following Google article for Chrome?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

hollymchargue
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the article! I read something about Flash settings in another thread yesterday so I checked those settings on my own, but it was good to have the article to make sure I did it correctly. 

Looks like Flash is allowed:

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 9.46.03 AM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Good, if flash is working, then it’s possible that a proxy, antivirus application, firewall, or other application is using or blocking ports required for the "Open" button to work correctly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

hollymchargue
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you! I don't know how to check the ports, so I'll pass that on to our IT support team. Meanwhile, I'll download the latest version of Dropbox, too. 

Thank you. 

hollymchargue
Explorer | Level 4

I'm not sure which did it, but I downloaded Dropbox again and relaunched Chrome with the latest version. I now have the Open/arrow button! It's a thing of beauty...

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 10.15.43 AM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Lovely to see it back! Great high res screenshot too!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Southweststucco
Helpful | Level 5

I uninstalled then reinstalled dropbox and google chrome, now it works!

Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gwa New member | Level 2
    hollymchargue Explorer | Level 4
    patrice1 New member | Level 2
    Southweststucco Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?