cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to a new computer ...

Migrating to a new computer ...

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am currently migrating an oldest IMAC (2013) to a more recent IMAC (2019). The Apple migration utility also copied my Dropbox files to the new computer (Dropbox / Mac / Documents).

Before joining my new computer with my Dropbox account, do I have to eliminate this data from the new computer, or will Dropbox know how to share things and check the data with their Dropbox version in the cloud?

Where can I find the instructions to start Dropbox following the migration to a new iMac?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Re: Migrating to a new computer ...

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @rlesperance, thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

Generally, when you set up a new computer, it's best to just download the Dropbox application and allow it to sync the files down to your computer by itself.

The migrated folder right now is just a normal folder on your computer, so it won't be syncing with your Dropbox. 

Once you download and install the application, Dropbox will sync your files as they appear in your Dropbox account.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Hannah,

Thanks for your reply.

So I understand that by restoring my old computer files to the new one and by activating the Dropbox sync on the new iMac, Dropbox will verify all the existing files and update only what is needed.  There is no reason to first delete the restored files before launching the sync.

Am I correct ?

Robert Lespérance 

Hannah
Dropboxer
No worries, Robert. 

Linking an already existing Dropbox folder to a new installation can be a tricky process, so I would definitely suggest you remove the migrated Dropbox folder. 

You don't need it at this point, since once you install the application, it will create a new, functioning Dropbox folder and will download your files to it.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rlesperance
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks.  I proceeded without deleting the Dropbox folder prior to your answer.  

I thought that Dropbox would have only checked the data and synced whatever was required.  Do you say that Dropbox has synced everything back ?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @rlesperance, the Apple migration feature can cause permission and security issues when transferring files in your Dropbox folder.

In general, we always recommend installing Dropbox from scratch and allowing the files to sync down through the site so there are no potential issues.

Does the desktop app show that it's up to date when you hover your mouse over the icon in the menu bar?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    rlesperance Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?