cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing the Dropbox context menus in Mac Finder

Missing the Dropbox context menus in Mac Finder

PeterLM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi everyone - I have been a Dropbox Professional user for about 3 years and 9 years with Dropbox altogether so I have really benefitted from it but recently, a feature I have used alot, the Dropbox Mac Finder context menus (I hope I am describing this correctly) have disappeared.

It seemed to coincide with me opting in as a Beta tester and then opting out, and/or a Mac upgrade to Monterey 12.2, not sure which or if either caused it.

Dropbox support tried to help but to no avail however I was prompted to set up a new user profile in Mac and download Dropbox and see what happened, and sure enough, all the context menu options appeared however I don't want to have to move everything over to the new profile just because of this issue. Plus, I'm interested to find the real solution.

Thanks for any thoughts on this. It's very frustrating as I can't just copy a Dropbox link or select/unselect SmartSync on a per file basis as I have done all the time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PeterLM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter-after days of searching, support tickets with Dropbox, your simple observation made me think I should clear all cookies, cache and browsing history and it fixed it!! Thanks so much for your comment. Peter

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @PeterLM, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please clarify which version you've got installed on the affected computer at the moment?

Also, since you were able to successfully install the Dropbox desktop application in the newly created profile and the issue was resolved, it means that there may be some sort of mis-configuration, setting, policy, or permission restriction that is affecting the original profile.

Do you have any 3rd party apps or services that might be monitoring your Dropbox folder in the original profile for example?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

PeterLM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, Walter! I'm running Dropbox v142.4.4197 and yes I agree my original main profile must have something blocking full Dropbox access but I just can't find what that is...

PeterLM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Walter-after days of searching, support tickets with Dropbox, your simple observation made me think I should clear all cookies, cache and browsing history and it fixed it!! Thanks so much for your comment. Peter

PeterLM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Walter thank you!!! You inspired me to check something very simple which fixed it!! Peter

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear you're back up and running and thanks for keeping me in the loop too, Peter.

See you around the Community and enjoy the remainder of your week!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

britt p.2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have had the same problem: the non-existing contextual menu. Sadly the cache solution worked only for one interaction and then not anymore. Dropbox support does not seem to understand my problem at all and the answers I get are not helpful. Are there any other solutions to help me get my contextual menu back? I am on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) and running the blasted MacOs Monterey version 12.3.1.

PeterLM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Mine has worked perfectly ever since I cleared all cookies, cache, history etc. Perhaps try clearing everything? Good luck!

YuliG
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Peter,

I am habing the same problem. Can I just clarify what cash/cookies/browsing history you cleared? For your browser? Safari? Chrome?

And if you indeed meant the browser cash - do you know why that affected the finder context menus?

Also, Have you tried reinstalling dropbox? I mean of the original user.

Thanks a lot!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @YuliG, sorry to jump in here, are you still having issues with this?

If so, please provide some additional information and let us know any troubleshooting you might have performed thus far. 

Thanks so much!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    jmerk1 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?