cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mistake! I assigned the desktop folder to the dropbox folder!

Mistake! I assigned the desktop folder to the dropbox folder!

Steve_in_DE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a win10 PC.  In an attempt to include my desktop folder (50GB of files) in dropbox, I inadvertently moved the location of the contents of the Desktop to "E:/dropbox" rather than "E:/dropbox/Desktop".  Now, my dropbox folder IS my Desktop folder, and vice-versa!  Yikes!  Now everything in my dropbox folder also appears on my desktop!  

Now, when I right-click on the dropbox folder and choose "properties", I get the same "location" tab that I would normally get when right-clicking on my Desktop folder.

Even before I created this mess, my dropbox folder contains 800GB.

I need to figure out how to separate the Desktop folder (with all it's system files) from the dropbox folder.  Any thoughts on a process here?

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks so much for following up on this Steve - I'm truly obliged!

I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to get back to you earlier; things are hectic these days :confounded:

In any case, I'm glad to hear that my suggestions pointed you towards the right direction and I'm always around if you come up with any Dropbox question.

As a closing note, keep in mind that you can also boost your syncing process by changing your bandwidth settings within the app's preferences according to your needs: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/faster-sync 

Have a wonderful day ahead!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Steve_in_DE Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?