cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile app/Excel integration with Dropbox

Mobile app/Excel integration with Dropbox

Jerryeco
Helpful | Level 6

on iPad, in Excel, trying to add Dropbox as a Storage account. get error message "Sorry, we could not sign you in to Dropbox. Please try again later." I have the Dropbox app installed and logged in.

125 Replies 125

Editing excel in dropbox

MarkBradbury
Explorer | Level 4

In the last 48 hours I have lost the ability to edit excel files in Dropbox. It asks me to sign in to Microsoft 365. Never experienced this in the last 5 years. 

Re: Editing excel in dropbox

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @MarkBradbury , welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the error message you're getting, so I can check it out?

Also, what Dropbox plan do you currently have? Is it a Dropbox Business one?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MarkBradbury
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah

thankyou for the response. I have the Basic Dropbox. Attached screen shot. B2F9AB96-D6D1-48A4-B8ED-E6E9107E08D5.png

Unable to edit offline file

NaniJ
Explorer | Level 4
I have just bought myself an Android tablet for when I go to see clients instead of carrying my laptop. 
I have drop box files on my laptop and it works and syncs beautifully no matter I am off or online.  I have downloaded the Dropbox app. I have made the client's relevant folder offline.  It has green arrow next to all the files.  When I was offline, I try to open the files - Excel, Word or PDF. Sometimes it opens but then it won't saying that I'm offline and can't connect to dropbox.  One thing for sure, I can't edit any of them.  It's telling me I have no internet connection. 
any ideas please help.
Thank you. 

Re: Unable to edit offline file

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @NaniJ, thanks for joining our Community!

Is Dropbox giving you this 'can't connect to Dropbox' error, or the respective MS Office app you use to edit the files?

Can you please send me a screenshot of the error message, so I can check it out?

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey Mark, thanks for the screenshot!

Are you still having this issue?

If so, can you try exporting this file to your device and open it locally (not through Dropbox), to see if this persists? 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

MarkBradbury
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. Still having issues. I’ve deleted and reinstalled Excel for iPad, no change. I’ve installed Microsoft Office for iPad, but that asks for a Microsoft 365 account and subscription. I’ve tried to edit through the Excel app, but again it asks for 365 subscription. Help!

Re: iPad/Excel integration with Dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Jerryeco, thanks for messaging the Community!

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Could you also do the same with the Excel app on your device?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Re: iPad/Excel integration with Dropbox

Jerryeco
Helpful | Level 6

Jay,

Thanks for you suggestions.

1. Verified account is Basic.  Had problems before when an account was accidently set to a 30-day preview of a higher level account.

2. Verified only one device on Dropbox.  It was a new account created yesterday, but verified again.

3. uninstalled Dropbox, rebooted iPad, installed Dropbox; not fixed.

4. uninstalled Excel, rebooted iPad, installed Excel; not fixed.

5. Updated iOS from 14.6 to 14.7; not fixed

6. Verified Excel & Dropbox were on latest versions.

Excel is using a free account on this iPad, so I tried two other iPads using two different E5 Office licenses and two different Dropbox accounts.  One of these two Dropbox accounts is a paid account.  Get the same error on both iPads.

I have run out of ideas to try.

I saw something yesterday when I was working on this that suggested to me that either Excel or Dropbox was connecting to the internet to verify the connection.  Any thoughts on whether an Excel or Dropbox server might be having an issue?

Thank you.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jessica21 New member | Level 2
    Marcel Houle New member | Level 2
    Davi4 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?