cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Move Dropbox folder from C: (SSD) to D: (1 TB) Hard Drive

Super User II
Super User II

@srlake314 wrote:

I know this has been a popular issue, but I have tried, the uninstall, reinstall, change sync location ...

If the Dropbox icon isn't appearing in your system tray, go through an advanced reinstall. During the install process, make sure you click the Advanced Options link (appears after signing in) so you can specify the desired location of your Dropbox folder. If there's already a Dropbox folder in that location, rename it first. And remember that external drives are NOT suggested as data loss can occur under the right conditions.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

how did you solve it? I'm trying to open the dropbox app and it just opens the windows explorer window to dropbox. SO I'm not able to access the "Gear" icon to change the preferences.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Dang it...  There's a trick out there but I can't remember it.  I had the same issue of locating the "Gear" settings incon too.  I stumbled across it somehow.  I've been trying to replicate but cannot discover the trick so far.  Sorry...  

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@mbuck0101 wrote:

I'm trying to open the dropbox app and it just opens the windows explorer window to dropbox.

You're opening the folder, not the app. You need to click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac), and not the icon on your desktop.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So I take it from the non-answers from Dropbox that you can have Dropbox on both your C drive and your D drive. But it's impossible to have it on your D drive and NOT on your C drive. Is that right?

Why would a person want to have it in both places? I want it on my D drive and not my C drive. My brand new computer is basically junk because the C drive was immediately full. I guess I can web browse. But I can't actually do my work. 

Is the answer to basically just get rid of the computer with two harddrives and just buy a normal computer? 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @nkbfre, while it may seem that I’m not replying to the thread, rest assured that I’m following it closely. Since Elixir & Rich have been checking back on your inquiries, I’m merely holding back, as our posts would overlap otherwise. That said, I’d happily further advise you on the best next steps regarding this matter.

It would be worth noting that you can only have one actively syncing Dropbox folder on your device & Elixir’s walkthrough in the previous page should be the way to go if you wish to move the Dropbox folder contents to your D:\ drive. From there, I’d suggest having a quick look at our Selective Sync feature, which helps you save up some space locally. 

Hopefully my message addresses your initial inquiry & please do let us know here if you have any additional questions or you need further assistance in any way. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jane. It appears I am need exactly what @nkbfre is looking to do. 

New PC (256ssd / 1TB HD). I have installed Dropbox and connected my personal and business accts. The sycing begins immediately before I can move the folders location to D:. I pause syncing and move the the folders(in sync setting) from C:Users/[me]/Dropbox to a new folder in my D: drive. There ends up begin duplicate folders in D: drive. The C: drive folders remain syncing. There appeares to be no way of making the C: drive folders selective sync and the D: drive folders local sync. It is true that C: drive folders must remain? 

I must have all my data local as I travel to places where I do not have internet access or Dropbox is banned. When I return to wifi/home -I need local D: dropbox to sync with Dropbox cloud.  I'm desperate for help on a fix as I am leaving overseas tomorrow. I've been trying to figure this out for several days. Thanks!

FYI The Selective Sync link you have in your message blocks me. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @masimakis, thanks for the nudge here; as you’ve mentioned that this is a pressing matter to you at the moment & you’ve already tried working on that on your end, I‘ve created a ticket on your behalf as we can work more efficiently towards resolution via this channel.

Thanks for getting in touch on the Community & please have a look at your inbox within the day for my message! 

PS: I've also edited the Selective Sync link in my previous message, thanks for letting me know that this can't be viewed on your end!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, this solution is not working for me because when I launch dropbox, there is no dropbox icon on the task bar.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Fishfish, thanks for the nudge here! Kindly note that if our desktop application fails to launch, then this probably means that the initial installation hasn’t been carried correctly or there’s something blocking the client from running/updating as it should. 

If it’s not too much trouble for you, could you give our latest Offline installer (78.4.119) a go after disabling your Antivirus/Firewall? Please reference these steps to get going with that according to the operating system where this has appeared:

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  
Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
Additionally, if you're using Boxifier, please let me know here, as it may be the culprit & you may have to adjust the settings within this app as well, so as to get going with the installation. 

Nonetheless, if this isn’t the fix we’re looking for, please let me know here & I’ll make sure to reach out to you directly on my end, in order to check back on the info I have on my tools. Thanks!

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?