cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have an Intel Compute Stick with very little storage on the device itself. I tried to move my Dropbox folder to a microSD card installed in my Intel Compute Stick but I got an error message from Dropbox because the microSD card is removable. Is there any way of overriding this, so that I can put my Dropbox folder on my microSD card?

75 Replies 75

ozzies24
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked perfectly on my micro SD card. Follow instructions exactly as posted. Thanks again Adam. 

don-peters
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I tried Adam's creative idea and it seemed to work fine. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with 256 GB of built-in memory and a 1 TB Dropbox subscription. Thus, his scheme was necessary to take advantage of my 1 TB subscription since I only had about 20 GB of storage free on my Surface Pro 4.

HOWEVER...  I now wanted to share a link to a file in my Dropbox storage. In the past, I'd just right-click on the file to get the option to get a Dropbox link. But that option is no longer available now that I'm using my 256 GB microSD card to locally store my Dropbox files. Is getting a Dropbox link no longer possible... or is there a workaround?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can get them via the website don-peters:
https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/view-only-access

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

don-peters
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sorry, Mark, but the option to create a link no longer appears. I need a link to my Dropbox files or folders so I can embed this link into an e-mail message. This option used to work perfectly when my local Dropbox files were stored on my system solid state drive.

don-peters
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I thought I had a workaround to get a link: go to the web page holding the file, right-click on it, and select the option to get the link. But that link doesn't work!

I've finally just given up, and instead bought a OneDrive subscription and am migrating all of my Dropbox files to it. I love the "on demand" syncing.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It does still work via the website (https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/view-only-access) its just the flow may have changed slightly.

You now click on 'Share' and follow the prompts from there

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Clif_
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Adam's solution worked for me, as advertised. 

Until now.

It seems that Dropbox has found a way to break the process.

Dropbox client warns me that it'll stop syncing in Nov, why?

Anyone having any success finding a new solution?

josergonzalez
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was using an SD Card on my Surface Pro where I had dropbox, but it was formatted in FAT32 format. Then I got a message from Dropbox that it would stop syncing in November (2018). When I clicked on the link for more info, it said that the format must be NTFS. So I reformatted my SD Card, to NTFS and now I can sync both, Dropbox and OneDrive to my SD Card. For Dropbox, this was the only solution that worked, that is, using the DB Mount command exactly as explained here. You must follow the steps given here, but it works. 

Clif_
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

josergonzalez  wrote

I was using an SD Card on my Surface Pro where I had dropbox, but it was formatted in FAT32 format.

I'll have to do some research. I'm using a thumb drive and afik they don't support NTFS.

Thanks for the tip!

Gazzaroonii
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I select the mounted SD Drive Location, DB Mount, I get the error, "This Folder is on a Device that does not have enough free space."

The destination is a 400GB SD Card that was just formated to NTFS.

Any suggestoins?

Need more support?