cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have an Intel Compute Stick with very little storage on the device itself. I tried to move my Dropbox folder to a microSD card installed in my Intel Compute Stick but I got an error message from Dropbox because the microSD card is removable. Is there any way of overriding this, so that I can put my Dropbox folder on my microSD card?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adam l.22
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had been searching and I found this. Just did it and it works perfectly. http://copytaste.com/io8211xb

Dropbox on a Thumb Drive

1. You can have your Dropbox folder on removable media (a flash/thumb drive) on Windows. If you have a flash/thumb drive, you will first need to mount it. This is done by:

a. Control panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management
b. Right click on the flash/thumb drive, select Change Drive Letter and Paths…
c. Select add, then select Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, browse to your C:, select New Folder…
d. Name the folder "DB Mount", click OK, click OK, click OK. Close Computer Management. 
e. You can now access your flash/thumb drive through its removable storage location (drive letter) or through the mounted location (C: DB Mount). Dropbox requires a local drive (the mounted volume).

2. Download Dropbox at: https://www.dropbox.com/install (You will have to signup for an account if you don't already have one).

3. If you have a flash/thumb drive, install Dropbox to the mounted drive in C:, named DB Mount. Select the this as the location for your Dropbox directory.

View solution in original post

75 Replies 75

Peter M.102
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm in a very similar situation. From what I've seen on these forums, Dropbox will prevent you from using any type of "removable" storage.

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I was able to move my Dropbox to an external hard drive, a USB Western Digital Passport Ultra, 2TB. What doesn't work is a MicroSD card. In order to avoid problems:
1. In 'Preferences' in the Windows Dropbox desktop program, set Dropbox NOT to start with Windows. This allows the USB external hard drive to start when you start your Windows computer and then be recognized by Windows. Start Dropbox manually.
2. If you are concerned about overwriting or losing files, Dropbox offers an add-on under which deleted files and versions are kept for 1 year.
3. Boxcryptor works well as a front-end to encrypt files in Dropbox on the fly, even encrypting file names. Once Dropbox is up and running, I start my Boxcryptor and Windows sees the Boxcryptor-encrypted files in Dropbox as local files on drive X:

Abdul A.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I also have the similar problem. I want to move my dropbox folder to my Flash drive from preference but simply it doesn't support it

Ebbe J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I Have the same problem with my Acer 2 in 1. I use it when I travel to share pics. All drives except the C-drive is is theoretically removable - so why pick on flash drives - the main drive in my netbook is a flash drive.

It really ought to be up to us users, as long as we have been warned.  I have dropbox on my pc at home which is my main repository - just need to be able to upload pictures and send links to other people so they can view them while I m still on the road.

Maybe I am using the wrong tool? Any suggestions?

RAMY M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have this problem

adam l.22
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had been searching and I found this. Just did it and it works perfectly. http://copytaste.com/io8211xb

Dropbox on a Thumb Drive

1. You can have your Dropbox folder on removable media (a flash/thumb drive) on Windows. If you have a flash/thumb drive, you will first need to mount it. This is done by:

a. Control panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Storage --> Disk Management
b. Right click on the flash/thumb drive, select Change Drive Letter and Paths…
c. Select add, then select Mount in the following empty NTFS folder, browse to your C:, select New Folder…
d. Name the folder "DB Mount", click OK, click OK, click OK. Close Computer Management. 
e. You can now access your flash/thumb drive through its removable storage location (drive letter) or through the mounted location (C: DB Mount). Dropbox requires a local drive (the mounted volume).

2. Download Dropbox at: https://www.dropbox.com/install (You will have to signup for an account if you don't already have one).

3. If you have a flash/thumb drive, install Dropbox to the mounted drive in C:, named DB Mount. Select the this as the location for your Dropbox directory.

russ c.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

thank you Adam!   if you are ever in CT i'll buy you a beer!

Kelly C.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Adam I - worked for an SD card as well

Amber H.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you, Adam. It worked perfectly for an SD card in a 2-in-1. 😄

Need more support?