cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have an Intel Compute Stick with very little storage on the device itself. I tried to move my Dropbox folder to a microSD card installed in my Intel Compute Stick but I got an error message from Dropbox because the microSD card is removable. Is there any way of overriding this, so that I can put my Dropbox folder on my microSD card?

75 Replies 75

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Remember, Dropbox does not support external, networked or removable drives. While it can work, data loss has been known to occur when storing your Dropbox folder on such a drive. Make sure you have a good backup of your data because if it happens to you, Dropbox will not be able to help you.

MICHAEL T.81
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

adam l. Thank you!!

Worked like a charm

Jonathan G.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Adam, thanks - worked a treat!

Folks, remember to pause syncing in the Dropbox app if you ever even consider removing your card from the PC.

Mike Z.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Adam,

Thank you very much!
This helped me out with my limited storage problem om my C-drive.

Praharsh B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

thank you adam....it worked.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

Beware. Even when you can use this mount trick to cheat Dropbox and move the content to an external drive, this is NOT supported by Dropbox and you can eventually have issues with your files or content.

Have good backups of your data. 2 or 3 copies.

Krisztina G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem and I'm before Adam's mount cheat. Because of I'm afraid of data loss I have a question: data loss could occur only on that device I used this trick or it would affect my whole dropbox cloud storage so that my other devices on which I have dropbox would have data losses too?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

data loss could occur only on that device I used this trick or it would affect my whole dropbox cloud storage so that my other devices on which I have dropbox would have data losses too?

As Dropbox is linked to all other devices the data loss replicates across the cloud and then all other linked devices. In some cases it will also remove the data from the disconnected drive when/if its reconnected. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

Mark is right.

Years ago when I was a newbie with Dropbox, I installed a Non-Supported Portable Dropbox app for testing in my wife profile in my computer. Something happens and I lost about 27,000 files.

Thanks God Support help me reverting back the event so I get my files back. I never ever used non supported solutions in my life since this scenario. 

External drives and Network shares are not supported.

The good news is some NAS devices like Synology includes the Dropbox app so you can sync your NAS servers with Dropbox as well. A great solution for home network and even small to medium business. 

Krisztina G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks for the answers! I decided I won't risk it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Morpheus New member | Level 2
    apmessner New member | Level 2
    Cyron Explorer | Level 4
    intuitivefox New member | Level 2
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?