cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Documents folder on Catalina?

Moving Documents folder on Catalina?

jkoffman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I used to have my Documents folder symlinked into my Dropbox to allow it to back up automatically. Since symlinks aren’t supported anymore, and since I am in the middle of setting up a new computer I thought I would try to fix this the recommended way - putting my actual documents in the Dropbox folder and symlinking back to the Documents folder.

This seems to be ok, but every time I reboot the symlink is gone and my documents folder just appears empty.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

5 Replies 5

Re: Moving Documents folder on Catalina?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @jkoffman, thanks for checking in with us. 

As a first step, to make sure that I understand what you're seeing, could you please let me know the following:

• What steps did you follow to reverse the symlink? 
  • Do you have any other symlinks in your Dropbox folder? 
  • Does the folder inside or outside your Dropbox folder disappear? 
  • What process do you follow once the folder disappears? 

Any additional info would be very helpful. Thanks! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jkoffman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for the quick response! 

Since I'm setting up a new machine, I put all my stuff in a folder that lives under /Dropbox. Then I renamed the existing ~/Documents. After that I issued a:

ln -s "/Users/Josh/Dropbox/Documents" ~/Documents

It works great, but once I reboot, I'm left with a ~/Documents folder that is totally empty. The documents still exist in /Dropbox/Documents. 

Any thoughts? This machine is running on Catalina. 

Josh

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for this piece of info, Josh! 

Hmm. :thinking: Since you mention that you're renaming the Documents folder, if this is one of the OS's default folders, could you revert it back to its original name and then reboot? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jkoffman
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

If I rename the original Documents folder back to Documents, then I can't make the alias as there's already a ~/Documents that exists. It appears that when I reboot Catalina is noticing that there is no ~/Documents, and creating one.

I messed around with it for awhile, and I believe I may have solved it. It's survived a reboot at least. I do need to get the original ~/Documents out of the way. But instead of creating the link on the command line, when I did it in Finder (right click, "Create Alias", then move it to ~/ it seems to have held. 

If it fails again at some point I will update. 

Josh

Lusil
Dropboxer

No worries, @jkoffman! Give me a shout if anything else pops up. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    jkoffman Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?