cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving Dropbox-disk mount point

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

For different reasons I need to move the disk containing Dropbox.
The disk is mounted within the root filesystem disk and has to be moved inside this tree.
One way of doing this would be by using a third emtpy drive mounted at the new mount point, but as it happens, we don't have one.

As an opinion it should be possible to remount the disk and tell Dropbox where it is mounted "now".  At this point Dropbox refuses to use this point as there would be a Dropbox folder already at this new position, except it is the same just used at a different mount point.

What is the best and possible way of doing this?

In Windows(10) the disk Dropbox is located is mounted on:
C:\Users\CJ\Dropbox
and it now needs to be moved to
C:\Dropbox

Now, this may look simple, but in the real world this "Dropbox" folder is in fact a second harddrive, just mounted within the C:\filesystem.

C:\ is harddrive 0.

C:\Users\CJ\Dropbox is harddrive 1  --> mounted on C:\Users\CJ\Dropbox.

Same thing under Linux:
/home/CJ/Dropbox
needs to go to
/Dropbox

Except that /home/CJ is a /dev/sdb1 and Dropbox is a /dev/sde1
Here is what one would like to do:
mkdir /Dropbox
mount /dev/sde1 /Dropbox

How to make it work?

/CJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Moving Dropbox-disk mount point

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi CJ, since you’re moving the Dropbox folder, why exactly do the steps to move the Dropbox folder not work? If you’re doing an advanced reinstall of the app and choosing the new location of the folder location from the Advanced Settings, it should simply re-index the files in that folder.

Bear in mind that you need to choose the parent folder of where you want the folder to appear. In your case, you’ll need to choose C:\, so that the C:\Dropbox folder is created.

Regardless of the mounted disks, this should work. However, if this isn’t what is happening, please let me know what happens.

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi CJ, since you’re moving the Dropbox folder, why exactly do the steps to move the Dropbox folder not work? If you’re doing an advanced reinstall of the app and choosing the new location of the folder location from the Advanced Settings, it should simply re-index the files in that folder.

Bear in mind that you need to choose the parent folder of where you want the folder to appear. In your case, you’ll need to choose C:\, so that the C:\Dropbox folder is created.

Regardless of the mounted disks, this should work. However, if this isn’t what is happening, please let me know what happens.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hm. I havent seen the advanced instructions previously.

I will dig in to that before I get back to my thoughts.

Thx for now.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Keep me posted with any updates!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?