cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Dropbox to a new PC

Moving Dropbox to a new PC

lhim
Explorer | Level 3

I have a new PC and need to "move" DB to the new one. On the old PC, the data was NOT on my C: drive and I do not want it on the C: drive of my new PC either. Here are the steps that DB help gave:

Copy files manually

The other way to migrate files is to copy them manually from a portable storage device (like an external hard drive) to the Dropbox folder on your computer. The Dropbox desktop app will then scan the files, and see that they're the same files in your Dropbox account.

On your old computer

1. Update the Dropbox desktop application to the latest version. DONE
  2. Wait until syncing has finished, as indicated by the green circle with the checkmark on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar. DONE
  3. Once syncing has completed, copy the contents of your Dropbox folder to your portable drive (such as a USB drive or external hard drive). HERE, I SIMPLY REMOVED THE SSD THAT DB WAS ON AND PUT IN MY NEW PC.

On your new computer

1. Install the latest version of the Dropbox desktop application and sign in to your account when prompted. DONE
  2. The application will create a Dropbox folder and begin downloading files from your account. Stop the download immediately by clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac), and selecting Pause Syncing from the menu. HERE DB WANTS TOP PUT THE DB FOLDER ON MY C: DRIVE. NO, DO NOT WANT THAT. PAUSE SYNCH. GO TO PREF>SYNCH AND SAY MOVE FOLDER TO MY E: DRIVE (THE ONE THAT I PHYSICALLY MOVED). DB COMES BACK AND SAYS DROPCOX FOLDER ALREADY EXISTS AND WANTS TO CREATE E:DROPBOX/DROPBOX. NO, NO, NO.  RENAME DROPBOX FOLDER TO XDROPBOX. GO TO PREF>SYNCH AND TELL IT TO MOVE DB FOLDER LOCATION TO E:DROPBOX; NOW DROPBOX CRETAES NEW FOLDER AS E: DROPBOX. I MOVE ALL THE FILES FROM MY XDROPBOX FOLDER TO E: DROPBOX - SOME HAVE ALREADY BEEN MOVED SO I SAY LEAVE ALONE. THEN LET SYNCH RESUME (AS PER BELOW)
  3. Copy the files from your portable drive into the Dropbox folder. SEE NARRATIVE ABOVE...
  4. Resume syncing by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar, and selecting Resume Syncing from the menu. I CHECK TO SEE HOW SYNCH IS GOING -  NOTE THE FOLDER DB JUST CREATED HAS NO DB ICON UNDER IT WTF! SO RE-OPEN  PREF>SYNCH AND DB IS BACK AT SYNCHING TO C:\USER\name\DROPBOX. THIS SEEMS TO NOT BE DOING AS STATED. NOW WHAT?

I am sure something I did was dumb but aside from that why can't these folks create a graphic that allow  you to chosse the path you want to take? Yep,  physically moved the SDD fro old PC to new one. Did that get DB bent? New location for orginal SDD changed its label fro F: to E:?

Any help? Please.

3 Replies 3

Re: Moving Dropbox to a new PC

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @lhim, thanks for reaching out to us here!

It seems that since the Dropbox app is in a mid-sync process, it's causing some trouble when trying to move the Dropbox folder.

I would suggest instead to specify the Dropbox folder location during the setup of the app, before syncing starts.

To do this, please unlink your account from the Dropbox app. This will stop syncing and break the connection to the current Dropbox folder.

Then, please remove the "new" folder the app created, and the second copy of the Dropbox folder on your E drive, leaving only the "XDROPBOX" (original) folder.

Once we've cleaned that up, please sign back into the app. During the initial setup (before sync), you should see an "Advanced settings" option.

From there, you can choose the folder location (ie. E:). Finish the setup of the app, and then try again from step 2 on the new computer by pausing sync.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lhim
Explorer | Level 3

After untangling my mess, I tried to do as you suggested. I had unlinked DB from my PC. When I was done I had a folder on my E: drive with just Dropbox. Per DB, once synching commences it will make sure that the files in the cloud and my files are the same.

So I log back in and choose advanced settings. It then suggests "On-line only" to save disk space via Smart Synch. I click next but am presented with allowing DB to go forward or use advanced settings. At this point, it is set to do C:/user/name/Dropbox as my local version AND all contents start on-line only. It gives me the option of changing my selective synch settings (which is weird as it wants to keep everyting on-line...). There is also a dropdown for changing the default DB location on my PC - whne I choose this, it will NOT let me point it at the folder that I have spect some time reparing to serve as my DB folder. It asks do you want E:/Dropbox/Dropbox? NO. But if i just point it to E: it  creates a E:/Dropbox folder. This is feeling much like where I was before. DB is basically forcing me to accept its "Dropbox" folder it creates not one that I have. So now I'm stumped.

Daphne
Dropboxer

You would need to point the app to just "E:", so that it will create a Dropbox folder to sync to in that drive. That would be expected @lhim.

Choosing the location during the setup makes sure that the Dropbox folder is in the right place, so that you won't need to move it after it starts syncing.

Not having the folder set to sync in the right place before is what caused the issue when trying to move the folder while it was syncing.

Once it creates a new Dropbox folder in your E drive, you can then pause the sync, and copy the files from the old Dropbox folder to the new one.

When you resume the sync then, it will just need to index the files there and check for changes.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?