Dropbox installs & integrations

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving dropbox data directory via cli

Explorer | Level 4

I posted this question a year ago and it was marketed as resolved (There was no actual resolution).  Then my follow up questions were igonored.  Trying again to see if dropbox got this figured out before I cancel.

I have Dropbox cli installed on a Ubuntu 18.04 server.  I used this guide.

https://www.ostechnix.com/install-dropbox-in-ubuntu-18-04-lts-server/

My issues is it is using ~/Dropbox dirctory on my system drive for the dropbox folder.  I want to move that to my data drive.  All of the guides for moving this refer to the GUI version.  I have seen people suggest sym links but your guide advises aginst that.  I just want to point dropbox from ~/Dropbox to /mnt/data/Dropbox. 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Moving dropbox data directory via cli

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @pharpe,

What about binding?!

... or even more - mount entire partition on Dropbox directory as a mount point (if applicable).

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I'm not sure I follow.  Doesn't binding just replicate the data to the binded location?  I don't want a dupicate copy I want it moved.  I don't have enough space on my system drive (500 GB) for dropbox.  I want the dropbox reposity on my 16 TB RAID drive. 

I could mount entire partition as a mount point but what does that accomplish? Apperently Dropbox is hard coded to only save files to ~/Dropbox and can't be changed.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Yes, @pharpe, Seems you don't follow my suggestion.

@pharpe wrote:

... Apperently Dropbox is hard coded to only save files to ~/Dropbox and can't be changed.

Yes, exactly, You can't move the folder without GUI. My suggestion is to move the mount point to Dropbox folder instead! Just opposite.

Hope now it's more clear.

PS: Or binding (i.e. mount --bind).

@pharpe wrote:

...  Doesn't binding just replicate the data to the binded location?  ...

No, binding "mount"s a folder content from one point to another. Yes, the content is visible in the two places simultaneously, but it's same content, not a copy (very similar like using symbolic link)! There is one complication, you should take care about. Binding is a FS-layer. This layer don't fall in Dropbox "white list", so workaround should be used (same like for non supported FS).

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?