cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving dropbox folder to an external drive is taking way too long

Moving dropbox folder to an external drive is taking way too long

jskates
New member | Level 2

I started running out of space on my local mac mini drive, so got a G Drive 4TB which I plan to have all my dropbox files on... not just smart synch.

The problem is well more than 12 hours later, it's on 135/131937 files and I'm in my 50s, so not sure I can wait that long. Any reason why it's taking this long just to move files to an external HD? I only have 136gb in Dropbox folder.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Re: Moving dropbox folder to an external drive is taking way too long

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @jskates, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Would you mind letting me know if you're seeing this progress at all, or does it appear stuck?

The time taken to move the Dropbox folder is most likely due to a large amount of data within the Dropbox folder. Do you happen to also have Smart Synced files in your Dropbox folder? 

While these files don't take space on your computer, they still need to be processed and moved to the new location too.

Moving the Dropbox folder needs to set up the app to be able to correctly read to the new location as well as moving the files over.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?