cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving files from Google Drive to Dropbox

How to move files from Google Drive to Dropbox

Edo-B
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm trying to move the files from my company's Google Drive into Dropbox. However I everything a Google Doc file is encountered (.gsheet or .gdoc) the process of copying files is suddenly aborted with not feedback to which file or even folder caused the problem.

Since we have thousands of folders to transfer I'm trying to avoid wasting a weekend weeding out Google Doc files manually.

Has anyone encountered this problem too? Is there any trick, tip I can use?

Thank you!

Edo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

atccodex
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Hey @Edo-B

Checkout this link to Wiki How . I think the archive option might be the best bet.

Open your Google Account page. Go to https://myaccount.google.com/ in a web browser. This will open the Account Settings page for your Google Account if you're logged in.
  • If you aren't logged into your Google Account, click the blue Sign in button in the upper-right side of the page, then enter your email address and password before proceeding.

Click Control your content. It's under the "Personal info and privacy" heading.

• You may have to scroll down a bit to see this option.

Click CREATE ARCHIVE. It's on the right side of the page, just under the "Download your data" heading.

Click SELECT NONE. This grey button is on the right side of the page.

Scroll down and click the grey "Drive" switch 

Image titled Android7switchoff.png 

. This switch, which is across from the "Drive" heading that's about a third of the way down the page, will turn blue 

Image titled Android7switchon.png 

, signifying that your Google Drive files will be downloaded.

• You can also click the grey switch next to any other Google products you wish to include in the archive.

Scroll down and click NEXT. It's a blue button at the bottom of the page.

Select an archive size. Click the "Archive Size" drop-down box, then click a size which matches (or exceeds) your Google Drive download size.

• If your Google Drive is larger than the size selected, it will download multiple zip files.

Click CREATE ARCHIVE. It's at the bottom of the page. Google Drive will begin assembling a ZIP folder with all of your Drive contents in it.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

atccodex
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Hey @Edo-B

Checkout this link to Wiki How . I think the archive option might be the best bet.

Open your Google Account page. Go to https://myaccount.google.com/ in a web browser. This will open the Account Settings page for your Google Account if you're logged in.
  • If you aren't logged into your Google Account, click the blue Sign in button in the upper-right side of the page, then enter your email address and password before proceeding.

Click Control your content. It's under the "Personal info and privacy" heading.

• You may have to scroll down a bit to see this option.

Click CREATE ARCHIVE. It's on the right side of the page, just under the "Download your data" heading.

Click SELECT NONE. This grey button is on the right side of the page.

Scroll down and click the grey "Drive" switch 

Image titled Android7switchoff.png 

. This switch, which is across from the "Drive" heading that's about a third of the way down the page, will turn blue 

Image titled Android7switchon.png 

, signifying that your Google Drive files will be downloaded.

• You can also click the grey switch next to any other Google products you wish to include in the archive.

Scroll down and click NEXT. It's a blue button at the bottom of the page.

Select an archive size. Click the "Archive Size" drop-down box, then click a size which matches (or exceeds) your Google Drive download size.

• If your Google Drive is larger than the size selected, it will download multiple zip files.

Click CREATE ARCHIVE. It's at the bottom of the page. Google Drive will begin assembling a ZIP folder with all of your Drive contents in it.

Edo-B
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It worked! Thank you so much for sharing the tip, it was a weekend saver! 🙂

atccodex
Super User alumni
Go to solution

@Edo-B

So glad it worked! Glad it saved you some time and headache! 

bfelbo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Beware that the solution described by @atccodex will only download files owned by you! Any individual subfolder or subfile may be created by someone else inside the main folder owned by you. As such, all your files may seem to be in the archive, but you may be missing a few crucial files in some subfolder somewhere.

Google being Google, there's no easy way to transfer ownership recursively. You can see this link for a workaround that works in some cases: https://support.google.com/a/thread/6694222?hl=en

The workaround did not work in our case. Luckily, we only had two owners of folders/files so those two owners downloaded their archives and we locally moved the files to all be in the same folder structure again.

Cryptoartsy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Google's layout has changed, so things are a bit different now. Yet this was good enough to guide me towards downoading my data. Thanks!

Developers Team
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Well I don’t think that will help but ok!

BartyNZ
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I recommend MoveBot.io, its pretty simple and straight forward- how to move to Dropbox with MoveBot

rentzdan000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hi, 

so i am new to dropbox. ive always struggled to use the app/site in the past due to my ill knowledge of it. my question id like for dropbox to subitute for the fuctionalities that ive traditionally used google for drive/docs. now considering this im not sure where exactly to start. id like to be able to transfer all of my documents/files from google to be saved on dropbox but again, no idea where to start. your advices are appreciated.

much apapreciated,

Dan

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for reaching out to us here @rentzdan000!

I've just moved your post here, since you have a similar question to the OP.

When you have the time, please check out the info here, as there are some great suggestions from other users here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?