cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving pdf files: There is not enough memory to complete this operation

Moving pdf files: There is not enough memory to complete this operation

Explorer | Level 3

Recently I can't move any PDF files from my win10 dropbox sync folder onto my memory sticks. It simply shows the message "There is not enough memory to complete this operation" while I can move other larger files and other pdf files from other folders.

All files on Dropbox contain the attribute ":com.dropbox.attributes:$DATA", causing a confirmation window when moving files out of dropbox every time as we know. I suspect that a similar mechanism is causing this problem since when i move a pdf into Dropbox folder and then move it out to another folder, the not enough memory situation will happen to this pdf file as well. will u fix this?

btw it seems that I'm not the only one getting this error: https:confused face:/answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/not-enough-memory-to-complete...

21 Replies 21

Re: moving pdf files: There is not enough memory to complete this operation

Dropboxer
Hey there @dualkijj!

Initially, so as to have a better understanding of the situation, could you please send me a screenshot of the error (omitting any personal info) and let me know what the syncing status of the Dropbox desktop app reads? 

Thanks in advance! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

i'm using a chinese win10, but the message is simple.

it says my memory stick is running out of space while it is clearly not.

螢幕截圖 2018-07-07 12.01.02.png

Super User II
Which version of Dropbox are you using?

You can get that by mousing over the icon on your status bar

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer
Hey @dualkijj, thanks for the screenshot. 

From what I can see, the image shows that the drive you’re trying to move your files into, as the message suggests, is full. For this reason, my initial thought would be, if you don’t want to free up space on that drive, try moving the files in question to another drive - maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know of any updates on the matter and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

it's 52.4.60, which i think is up to date

Explorer | Level 3
no, it's exactly the opposite: the dialog box said that the drive had 14.5 GB of free space out of 14.5 GB.
I believe I had a grasp of PC common sense.

Dropboxer
Hi there @dualkijj!

Sorry about that, got a bit confused as the error message at the top translated to “There is not enough space”. 

Let’s try something else. Quit the Dropbox desktop app temporarily by following the steps below:
  1. Click on the Dropbox icon. 
  2. Select the gear icon on the top right corner of the pop-up menu that appears
  3. Click Exit Dropbox.
Once the Dropbox icon disappears, it means that the Dropbox desktop app isn’t running. Then, try moving the PDF files to the drive in question from the Dropbox folder. 

If the files don’t transfer and you get the same error, it means that the error message that you’re seeing is not related to the Dropbox desktop app. If the files do transfer, let me know and we’ll take it from there. 

Cheers! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3
2 hours after exiting the Dropbox desktop app, the same dialog box still came up when I trying to move pdf files to my flash drives.
however, I could transfer some other pdfs which I moved into Dropbox folder after quitting the Dropbox app to my flash drives with no difficulties, but after I reopened the Dropbox app, the latter pdfs became unable to be moved to my flash drives either.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the prompt reply here, @dualkijjHmm, interesting indeed.

In order to continue troubleshooting and due to account-sensitive info that may be required on this, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email. I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. Please make sure to check your inbox for my latest message. 

I look forward to hearing back from you there. Cheers! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?