cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Dropbox links in File Explorer

Multiple Dropbox links in File Explorer

Barry N.2
New member | Level 2

In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see multiple Dropbox links under ThisPC.  Current count is about 100.  How can I stop these links from appearing?  I think that the number slowly increases throughout the day.  Thanks, Barry

8 Replies 8

Re: Multiple Dropbox links in File Explorer

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Sounds like an error in a process that uses dropbox API.  Reboot?

Barry N.2
New member | Level 2

I reboot everyday, and then it starts again.  A process using the dropbox API? - not aware of anything that might be doing that - do you have an example?

David C.164
New member | Level 1

Barry - did you find a way to fix this? It does it to me (also on Windows 10, also reboot every morning)

Barry N.2
New member | Level 2

Hi David - no I didn't get a way to fix this.  Not sure if anyone from DropBox is reading this and can offer a solution.  I still have the problem on my PC.

David C.164
New member | Level 1

Hi Barry, I've started a discussion with dropbox support - will update this thread if they help me solve it.

Barry N.2
New member | Level 2

Thanks David!

David C.164
New member | Level 1

Barry - I've kind of solved it(-ish...), but have given up looking for a full fix.

Support's advice was to uninstall and reinstall - which I did but which isn't trivial if you have 700GB in there and don't have it on C: and have some of Windows folders mapped to your dropbox folder...  (edit: just to be clear, uninstall/re-install didn't fix it)

I wondered if this was the cause of the problem - I had mapped the default location of the Documents folder within windows to my Dropbox folder. Maybe you have done that too?

In explorer click on This PC. In the folders section at the top right click on Documents - in the General tab if the location is set to your Dropbox folder this might be the cause? To reset it click on the Location tab then Restore Default to reset it back to the Windows default.

What this does is move Dropbox out of the This PC section of the sidebar, replaced by the default documents link. Dropbox is still there above it.

I haven't had any instances of multiple dropbox links in the sidebar since doing this.

It might be pure coincidence, who knows. There are many reasons you might want to map the location of Windows folders to Dropbox rather than Windows defaults. I have the Music and Pictures folders mapped to Dropbox fine, so maybe it is just the documents one that causes the issue, or maybe it was something else, but resetting the documents folder back to the default worked for me. 

If you find a different/better solution please let me know! 

Cheers,

David

Barry N.2
New member | Level 2

Hi David - thanks very much for this comprehensive explanation of what you have done.  I've just checked my File Explorer and actually for the first time today I notice that there are not multiple Dropbox entries.  The only thing that I have done recently is to move a whole load of photos out of my Dropbox but I can't imagine why that would have had an effect.  I'm going to monitor this over the coming days and report back here with further info,.  Thanks again for having provided your feedback to this question.  Regards, Barry

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Barry N.2 New member | Level 2
    David C.164 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?