cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dropbox Icon Remains Grey, say "Updating Account" and Stays That Way

My Dropbox Icon Remains Grey, say "Updating Account" and Stays That Way

Rubaiyat Yameen
Helpful | Level 5

A few months ago I decided to give a trial to the business version of Dropbox. After upgrading I noticed that my dropbox app in laptop remained stuck trying to update the account. The dropbox icon in the taskbar remained grey and the updating would continue on without end. I thought the problem was with upgrading so I ended that trial.

After that my regular dropbox account also experienced the same issue. I found out how to run and advanced reinstallation from other pages in the forum. Advacned reinstall would work for a while. The dropbox account would log in and sync the files and everything would seem normal. But if I restart my laptop usually the issue returns. So I have to run and advanced reinstall again.

There is a dropbox app in a desktop computer at work and it shows a folder with my name which I didn't create or even when I tried deleting it it comes back. The work network does have dropbox installed and when we log on with our accounts our personal files sync into that account. But I can't explain why there is a folder that I didn't create or why it comes back when I delete it. I don't know whether these two issues are related.

Is there a away for some advacned technical support personnel can look into the status of my account and help me solve these problems for good?

Thank You

Rubaiyat

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rubaiyat Yameen; thanks for joining our Community!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you send me a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your system tray/menu bar

Have you tried unlinking and relinking your account through the app's preferences by any chance? 

As for the folder that keeps coming back, could you take a look at the version history of a file inside of it to see which device, 3rd party app or user is adding it back to your account? 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rubaiyat Yameen
Helpful | Level 5

Dear @Walter

Thank you for your response. After I had posted this message, I ran an advanced reinstall. After that Dropbox was working fine. Here are the screenshots from then:

Screenshot 2020-12-16 16.34.17.pngScreenshot 2020-12-16 16.35.07.png

However, once I restarted the laptop, this is what happened:

Dropbox Status 2.jpgDropbox Status 1.jpg

As for unlinking, this device had a different name before, which I unlinked after I saw your message. I didn't unlink and relink all the devices.

The folder that keeps came back is named "Rubaiyat Yameen" and in it is another folder named "Rubaiyat Yameen (Conflict)" and in it is another folder named "Rubaiyat Yameen (Conflict)". In there is a file, whole version history I checked. That file was added by my office computer.

I hope this helps. I am looking for a permanent solution to this problem. Hope you can help. I took some time because I had to demonstrate to you what happens when I restart and the problem arises. As you can guess, in this state when I go to preferences, it shows "This computer isn't linked to an account." So I can't unlink the dropbox from preferences now.

Rubaiyat

Rubaiyat Yameen

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update on this one @Rubaiyat Yameen.

Could you try an advanced re-install and let me know if you still get the same results? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rubaiyat Yameen
Helpful | Level 5

Dear @Walter

I did an advanced re-install. Same problem. It worked fined until I needed to restart my laptop. After restarting, dropbox wouldn't connect to the account.

Rubaiyat

camin aktion
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rubaiyat, same problem here, it feels like the Business account is the problem. My issue:

Working on Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 on MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

> I had Dropbox desktop installed on my MacBook Air when I change from DB Pro to DB Business. Transition worked fine, no sync issues.

> I installed Dropbox desktop on my MacBook Pro and here the problems started. The sync shows approx 150.000 files to be synchronized, and then the app crashes. I tried to select the folders to be sync (this option worked once only), same problem. I chose the all-online option, same problem. I followed all the steps to desinstall DB, for an adavanced install, same problem. I re-installed the system on my MacBook Pro, same issue, even with advanced install. DB service takes aaaaalllll its time to respond and solve the issue, since a week I cannot work with my MacBook Pro, all work files are in the hands of DB (bad idea, maybe? I trusted them so far...)

All the best,

Dirk

drjim
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue with my Mac Pro and OS 11 when trying to download the Dropbox Downloader.  I have spent far too much time on this.  I'm throwing in the towel.

Thank you for all the texts here, but it just isn't working.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @camin aktion, @drjim, are you installing the Dropbox desktop application with admin privileges as shown here?

@drjim, what is the exact error you're getting on iOS 11, since you can only install the mobile app there.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

camin aktion
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay , there is no such option. Once the install program downloaded and decompressed, a double click on the install program is required, then DB install process launches without any other option. Once done, it tries to sync, and crashes after some minutes. I automatically connects to the Pro user (= administrator). Same issue even when I erase all the DB files and folders in the Library of my Mac. Here, I have to re-connect, and the app crashes again.

FYI, the link you share seems to have a translation issue in French : https://help.dropbox.com/fr-fr/installs-integrations/desktop/download-dropbox#admin

As it says "Faites bien attention de ne pas cliquer avec le bouton droit sur Exécuter en tant qu'administrateur." 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you're getting this error, @camin aktion, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly via the support page.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    camin aktion Explorer | Level 4
    drjim New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?