cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stuck on Connecting

My Dropbox desktop app is stuck on "Connecting".

Rodney E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox won't connect on my pc with windows 7.
I've re-installed, rebooted and tried: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/configuring-firewall
Most of the preferences buttons are disabled; selective sync, unlink dropbox (says it's not even linked to an account).
Works fine online. I'm paying monthly for this service but it's not working.

44 Replies 44

Markus M.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Has anynone found a solution for this ? I've unlinked and reinstalled in 5 different ways and I can't get it to work no matter what i do...  

Edit: Found a fix for myself

Go to proxies on your Mac and disable ''Auto Proxy Discovery''. I did not realise that this needed to  be disabled in order for there to be no proxies. As I have a new computer I thought proxies where basically none.

Hope this helped someone. Here's another thread with more fixes.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/206754586-Dropbox-3-20-1-not-connecting-not-sy...

Iván T.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Markus M., your solution works perfectly.

Frederik L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The fix from Markus M. worked for me as well, it stopped working about a day ago.

Simon M.35
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem (in Windows 7). Stuck on "connecting". Continued like this for a few days. Finally, opened "task manager", ended Dropbox process. Dropbox icon disappeared from task bar. Then went to "search programs and files, opened Dropbox program, icon reappeared and it connected almost immediately. Now working properly again.

castlegrove
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Fixed. Thank-you! - Markus M's solution worked first time.

danipi0187
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Tried below, Nothing solve my issues,:

1. Unlink and re-link dropbox account

2. Kill the "Dropbox.exe" process from Windows Task Managers/Processes. Restart Dropbox.

richg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I too am stuck connecting. I have windows 10 and recently (2/6) did a dropbox update on my iphone and ipad. The problem started then. When I try to troubleshoot compatability, it seems like it is trying to be compatible for windows 8 (windows 1o is not an option). Also dropbox version number for devices is different for my PC. After I uninstalled and re-installed, It said I have no internet connection...computer is offline...check network settings. Network and internet is fine. Issue is that when I move something to dropbox on my PC it goes there, but not to my devices...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

richg wrote:

I have windows 10 and recently (2/6) did a dropbox update on my iphone and ipad. The problem started then.

Updating Dropbox on your mobile devices would have no impact on your computer.

When I try to troubleshoot compatability, it seems like it is trying to be compatible for windows 8 (windows 1o is not an option).

Make sure Dropbox is NOT running in any compatibility mode. It's not needed.

Also dropbox version number for devices is different for my PC.

The version numbers are not the same across multiple device types. Only Mac, Windows and Linux (usually, but not always) share a version number. Android and iOS devices will always have different version numbers.

After I uninstalled and re-installed, It said I have no internet connection...computer is offline...check network settings.

Something on your computer or network is blocking Dropbox from connecting to the Internet. You need to determine what that is and prevent it from doing so.

Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software and try again. Also, if you can get to Dropbox Preferences, ensure that the Proxy setting is set to No proxy (assuming you don't use a proxy, of course).

richg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Rich (superuser), I fixed issue with your help. I went to my webroot and disabled my firewall, web shield and realtime shield, and when I clicked the dropbox icon in lower right bar, I was given a prompt to sign on to dropbox. I also had set proxy for "no proxy". Thanks again!

richg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

i guess it was just a temporary fix. When I turned my PC back on this morning I was stuck not connecting. I disabled the firewall and shields and dropbox connected. Has anyone discovered a permanent fix?

Need more support?