cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dropbox desktop app is stuck on "Connecting".

My Dropbox desktop app is stuck on "Connecting".

Rodney E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox won't connect on my pc with windows 7.
I've re-installed, rebooted and tried: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/configuring-firewall
Most of the preferences buttons are disabled; selective sync, unlink dropbox (says it's not even linked to an account).
Works fine online. I'm paying monthly for this service but it's not working.

44 Replies 44

gafsiqueira
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found a fix this problem by doing the following

Dropbox settings > Preferences > Proxies > Proxy settings: select "No proxy".

For me the "Auto-detect" option was selected and changing it solved the problem.

Let me know if it also worked for you.

mark_with_o
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try killing the "Dropbox.exe" process from Windows Task Managers

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Ed568
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ive been using the Desktop App for about 5-6 years now, and starting last week it would just not connect. Ive uninstalled the app and downloaded the latest version (Dropbox 119.4.1772) off the website but the app still does not work. Its continuously says its connecting but to no avail, while my network is just fine. proxy and firewall is also not an issue here. Any clue whats going on ?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Ed568, and welcome to our Community!

I've moved your question under this thread, since the issue seems to be similar.

Usually this is caused due to an antivirus, firewall, security program, proxy or VPN blocking the Dropbox desktop client from connecting to the internet. Can you disable them temporarily or whitelist and let me know if this helped? 

Also, can you click on your Dropbox icon, then avatar or initials, then Preferences, Proxies and change the Proxy settings to "No proxy"? 

Hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

letters-of-light
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am on Mac OS and had a problem for months with Dropbox thinking there was no internet connection even though all my other cloud apps were connected to internet, my email worked, and my internet browser worked. My smart sync on my desktop app had stopped working because of this. I chatted and emailed with tech support for months, and tried everything out there without any solution to the problem. For anyone out there who relies heavily on Dropbox for business files and experiences an issue like this, I know your pain.

One day I got on my computer and noticed Dropbox was recognizing internet connection after months of not working. No idea how, but I'm thinking it was because of a new Mac OS update I had just done the day before. I had made sure my OS was up to date all the months prior while troubleshooting to no avail... it could have been something about this specific update, but not sure. However, my sync was still not working. I started fiddling around and right clicked a file in Finder that was in my Dropbox folder. I noticed an option that said "Move to Dropbox". This peaked my curiosity because I wondered, "How can you move something to Dropbox that is already in Dropbox"? So, I went ahead and clicked on it, and the file disappeared. Astonished, I began to realize that I somehow had two Dropbox folders. I never created two, but somehow I ended up with two. I immediately jumped on Dropbox chat, and the tech helped me to find the new Dropbox folder by going to Preferences > Sync, and you will see your Dropbox Folder Location. The older folder was under My Documents. The new folder was under my "name" folder. The strange thing was that the old Dropbox folder had a little dropbox icon on the folder icon in Finder. The new folder had no icon, so I was skeptical about it even though Dropbox showed that location as my Dropbox Folder Location. Anyway, here is what the tech guided me to do at this point:

1. Make sure all files were backed up on the Dropbox website.

2. Delete the old Dropbox folder.

3. Follow the Dropbox reinstall link (without uninstalling). I believe it's dropbox.com/download.

After doing this, when I opened up Dropbox I could tell things had improved because less options were grayed out as they had been for months on the desktop app. However, it still wasn't syncing. I opened Preferences > Sync and toggled the smart sync on and off and on again. I almost couldn't believe it, but I guess it needed that to wake it up because after months of no Dropbox on my desktop it was working perfectly. I wanted to write this to hopefully help anyone else who might be going through something similar.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

letters-of-light New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Ed568 New member | Level 2
    Simon M.35 New member | Level 1
    Frederik L. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?