cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My Dropbox folder has moved and I can't move it back

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I came into work as normal this morning and now I'm sitting here a little bit stunned. 

I'm on a Macbook: Mojave 10.14.6 and suddenly this morning I was welcomed to the new Dropbox Desktop app. My Dropbox folder has disappeared from the shortcuts on my finder and reappeared in a user folder within the systems file.

It's impossible to use MS Word with it and when I dragged the folder back to its normal place, the new app said I'd broken it. I took the relink offer put forward, hoping I could sync to the file in its normal position, but it installed a new one back on the user folder and started trying to download gigabytes worth of files.

I've no idea what to do. I've looked around the web and there's nothing much that helps. And in the meantime I have to go through an incredibly unwieldy process to access / save my files.

I'd be really grateful for any help. I can't quite believe that a company I've trusted would behave in this way. Maybe I've screwed something up. I hope so.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: My Dropbox folder has moved and I can't move it back

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Pete from Bristol, thanks for joining the Community!

In order to assist further, I’d like a little more information on what you’re experiencing:

• Did this change happen suddenly, or after an update of the Dropbox app, or other services including OS?
  • When you say it’s in a system folder, could you be more precise? Was it originally located in the Home folder?
  • When you say it’s ‘impossible to use Word’, what error are you getting?
  • Could you forward a screenshot of the current location, while hiding personal information, and also the correct location, if possible.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?