cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dropbox folder size is different on my account online & on my desktop.

My Dropbox folder size is different on my account online & on my desktop.

Teuvo G.
Explorer | Level 4

When I open DropBox.com beeing signed in, I get information that 85,75 GB of 1,01 TB space is used. However, when I open the DropBox folder on my computer (Windows 10 Explorer) the size

of the folder is 11.7 GB. Weird to me because I have many subfolders in DrB-folder and biggest of them is just that 11,7 GB and the second biggest is 8,98 GB and others are smaller but make together in total about just that 85,75 GB perhaps. ( I can see the size of every singel subfolder).

So Im wondering why cannot see the total size of DropBox folder.

7 Replies 7

Re: DropBox folder size

Elixir
Super User

Hello @Teuvo G., Do you mean windows explorer shows the subfolder sizes as 11.7GB, 8.98GB, and so on, while the parent folder is 11.7GB? Then I imagine something is wrong with Widows explorer. Note that it might take some time to accurately calculate the folder size especially if you have huge number of files inside. By the way, do you have Selective sync or Smart sync enabled for the Dropbox app?

Teuvo G.
Explorer | Level 4

Yes Windows Explorer shows 11.7 GB the size of the parent folder although one of the subfolder is same size and there are many smaller.

I have selective sync enabled and have all folders selected. 

Elixir
Super User

That is strange! Can you quit the Dropbox app for a moment, and check the folder properties to find their sizes? Do you still see parent folder size is smaller than the sum of sub folder sizes?

Teuvo G.
Explorer | Level 4

Yes same situation. Really weird, burt seems that everything however seems to be there and works.

Should I mention that the DropBox folder is one of parent folders on one of my hard disks nameed S.

The path is (MyPC / S: / Dropbox).

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Teuvo G., have you tried by any chance an advanced reinstall? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let us know of any updates! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Teuvo G.
Explorer | Level 4

I have now made that  advanced reinstall. No effect, same situation as before, but I don't know if it matters anything because everything

seems to work an all files seem to be there.  For some reason Windows just does not see the size right.

Thanks everybody for ansvers.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the reply, @Teuvo G.!

As a first step, assuming that your desktop app is showing that it’s up to date with its syncing (by clicking on the Dropbox icon), could you please check if there are any incompatible characters by running a bad file check? 

If you do find any, generally, you should be able to resolve the incompatibility by simply renaming the file and omitting the illegal characters. 

If you don’t find any, a reboot of your device may resolve this. 

If all this comes to a dead end, I’d kindly recommend moving this discussion to email for further investigation. If you’d like, I can contact you directly to your email address that’s associated with your Forum profile. 

Let me know of any updates and, in any case, how you’d like to proceed! :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Teuvo G. Explorer | Level 4
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?