cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dropbox was hacked and 2fa was enabled

My Dropbox was hacked and 2fa was enabled

dickdasterdly85
New member | Level 2

My account has been hacked and someone has changed the password and activated 2fa. What's worse is that they did the same thing with the Google account associated with it. My email address was [Email removed by moderator] is there any way to recover my account?

1 Reply 1

Re: My Dropbox was hacked and 2fa was enabled

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @dickdasterdly85, I’m sorry to hear that!

Unfortunately, if you don’t have access to the email address associated with the Dropbox account then we wouldn’t be able to assist with recovering your Dropbox account. Also, if you don’t have access to any of the methods used to receive the two-step verification codes, we also wouldn’t be able to assist.

However, that being said I would like to try everything we can to recover your account! So as a first step I would like to confirm that two-step verification that was indeed activated on the account. Did you receive some sort of notification or message that suggests this? The more detail you could provide on this the better (please just be careful not to post any sensitive personal info as this is a public forum)!

Also, in terms of recovering your email account itself, perhaps you could try resetting the password for your account or contacting Gmail Support for assistance. Regaining access to your email account would be the first thing you need to do here for us to be able to look into assisting you with regaining access to your associated Dropbox account.

I hope this helps even in the slightest, let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?