cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My InDesign files have turned into text-files when I have downloaded them back to my desktop

My InDesign files have turned into text-files when I have downloaded them back to my desktop

Lone M.
New member | Level 1

I have stored several InDesign documents on Dropbox. But now I want to download them again to my desktop in order to work with them and update them. In the downloading process my InDesign documents turn into text-files and I'm not able to open them in InDesign again. What has happened?!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: My InDesign files have turned into text-files when I have downloaded them back to my desktop

Greg S.20
New member | Level 2

I deleted the ".txt" extension that was added to the file during the download so it ended in ".indd" and it opened perfectly.

Hope others who have had the same issue will have the same good results with this solution.

Not sure why this is happening and why DB doesn't seem to be aware of the issue.

I don't think it has always happened with InDesign files.

Perhaps DropBox will address the issue in full detail so more people can be aware of it and not panic late at night on a project like I did.

: )

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Re: My InDesign files have turned into text-files when I have downloaded them back to my desktop

Rich
Super User II

That's not something Dropbox is capable of doing. It can't alter your files like that. Something else would have caused this to happen.

Have the files extensions changed? If you double click on one, does it try to open in InDesign or is another application opening instead? Is it just your InDesign files or are others affected as well?

Lone M.
New member | Level 1

Rich R.

If I'm trying to download to my iMac (wherefrom I uploaded months ago) my .indd documents turn into .text and when I'm trying to download my Illustrator docs (.ai) I'll get a dialogue box saying an error occurred while converting into a .ps 😞 
The .ai docs have small icon that shows small thumbnails of the graphic it contains but my .indd docs are just small "white paper"-icons.

I've tryed to open my dropbox account on a pc - here I can download the files but not open it (my adobe programs are of an older version) but my docs aren't converted into spooky files.

I've even tryed to open Dropbox in two different browsers on my Mac ... 😞 It didn't help either ...

My pdf's, png, jpg and word-docs - no problem at all ... Arghhh ...

Greg S.20
New member | Level 2

I've been having the same issue with InDesign files that I've uploaded to DropBox. When  download them they've been converted to some sort of text filed therefore I've had to recreate the files from scratch.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Greg S.20
New member | Level 2

I deleted the ".txt" extension that was added to the file during the download so it ended in ".indd" and it opened perfectly.

Hope others who have had the same issue will have the same good results with this solution.

Not sure why this is happening and why DB doesn't seem to be aware of the issue.

I don't think it has always happened with InDesign files.

Perhaps DropBox will address the issue in full detail so more people can be aware of it and not panic late at night on a project like I did.

: )

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II

It's NOT a Dropbox issue. Dropbox is not capable of altering your files in such a way. If another  extension is being added to your files when you download them, then it's your browser that is doing it.

Petja
Helpful | Level 6
Excellent, this solves the problem.

Another solution, of course, is to use the Dropbox Drive, here's how https://www.dropbox.com/guide/business/manage-files/save-your-hard-drive-space

The .indd files won't get any mysterious endings there. (I'm using the drive, but jsut wanted to check a document that I don't keep synced.)

beeper99
New member | Level 2

OMG that worked! Thank you! Such a simple solution. 

I think one other issue could be if you download a file that you've already downloaded (such was my case). Had a resume I needed to submit today and would NOT have wanted to start from scratch. 

chrisplyon
New member | Level 2

It's definitely happening. Not having this issue with Google Drive or Mac Drive. It only happens on Dropbox. I'm using the Dropbox app for Mac, not a browser. The workaround is fine, but annoying.

amiller312
New member | Level 2

So, has any figured out WHY this is happening? I used the work around listed above, so everything is good, but what is causing this to happen. I use the Safari browser and have never had this problem. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that this started to happen. Inquiring minds want to know! 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Greg S.20 New member | Level 2
    Lone M. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?