cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My app started syncing, however I am missing files. Why is that?

My app started syncing, however I am missing files. Why is that?

Pmerritt
Explorer | Level 4

My Dropbox started syncing again for some reason. It has about 8 hours to go in the last day of a 2+ day operation. No idea why it started syncing again but the question I have is that I can see many files missing that were saved before the sync started. Will these come back as the sync completes or do I have a more serious problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: My app started syncing, however I am missing files. Why is that?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Pmerritt, we'd recommend allowing the sync process to continue until the Dropbox desktop application confirms that all files have been synced.

When this happens, please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @Pmerritt, let's see what we can find on this! 

When you say the files were saved, can you clarify where those files were located? 

Have you tried searching in your File Explorer for the missing files? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pmerritt
Explorer | Level 4

About a year ago we closed out our desktop server and transferred all files to the cloud using Dropbox as our "server".  When I say the files were saved, I mean these files were excel files and pdf files that were saved in directories set up on dropbox and saved to the cloud.

Many many files are not in directories where they were originally placed.  I don't know how many but most of the files I am working in right now on a current management project are gone from the folders they should be in.

As an aside, dropbox started this sync process about 30 hours ago with 556,000 files to sync.  This morning it had 336,000 left and now it has 332,000 files left to sync.  It has sorta been here for several hours.

This sounds like a disaster.

Pmerritt
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for trying to help me 

Pmerritt
Explorer | Level 4

As to searching for them, I have searched, my wife has searched and my contract IT guy has searched using the search function on explorer.  They are not in the folder hierarchy we have set up on dropbox.  Unless for some reason dropbox has them in some sort of sync limbo we may have lost them.

I need to know what happened but I don't see a way to talk to anyone at dropbox to see if the files are recoverable. 

Dropbox invasion

Pmerritt
Explorer | Level 4

In April I shared a folder with someone that had a set of pictures of computer equipment so they could bid some work.  May 25 that person started deleting everything from my computer.  Apparently I made that person a member of my team and in the process of deleting her access she started the process of deleting all my files.  556,000 of them.  the first I knew of it was when dropbox started resyncing my computer.  It took a couple days to figure out what was actually happening.

I have shared folders a lot and I do not understand how I made this person a member without intending to.  Did I really do it or is there something else that happened to allow her access?

I talked to dropbox support and they were able to give me back some of the major subdirectories I had but will it restore the files that were deleted?

I have many shared situations on my dropbox.  Am I exposed to another invasion?  

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Pmerritt, we'd recommend allowing the sync process to continue until the Dropbox desktop application confirms that all files have been synced.

When this happens, please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Pmerritt
Explorer | Level 4

I called the support line today when I started see3ing files disappear.  I never saw better support.  When I asked for a return call the phone rang within 2 seconds of me posting the request.  the guy figured out what had happened and fixed it and then sent me back the files that had been disappearing.

I still have a couple days to go to get synced but at least now it is adding the files back and not deleting them.

Jay
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that the issue was resolved by our support agent.

If you need any further assistance in future, please let us know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Pmerritt Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?