cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer is freezing when making changes within the Dropbox folder, any ideas?

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

OscarV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I'm having troubles with the Dropbox desktop app. It is syncing correctly, and I can access it just fine through my Windows Explorer, but after selecting a file it crashes my Explorer.

I have tried several fixes, including making an exception for Dropbox in my Virusscanner and checking Firewall Issues. Also tried re-installing it (several times). 

Can you suggest an alternative fix?

Kind regards,

Oscar

114 Replies 114

TazzyT
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

As a heads up - "Open in File Explorer" is not even an option listed from the Browser/online under either of the Open options (next to file name or down the right side).  Nor is it under "show More" as those are just more apps. (screen shot below)

LAtest version - clean install from the website

dropbox_online_capture_1216.PNG

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for letting me know this isn't working for you @TazzyT!

It may be that you're not meeting the requirements needed for this option to appear. Can you please check the following:

• You're signed into the same account online and in the desktop app.
  • Your web browser and OS are up to date.
  • Flash Player 10 or later is enabled for the Dropbox website.

Otherwise, can you let me know if you see the option when using another web browser, an incognito/private window or after clearing the browser cache?

Let me know what you find - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TazzyT
Explorer | Level 4

Ok I tried all of my available browsers and that option only shows in Chrome.

It does not show in IE Edge, FireFox, FireFox Developer, or Opera.

All browsers are up to date and Flash Player 10 is enabled on all browsers.

Now regardless of the above:

1) explorer should not freeze when opening files in dropbox.  This issue is directly related to the update where Smart sync and the desktop app were added.

2) We should not have to go online to open a file to "possibly" fix an issue that was recently introduced.  Instead of putting a temporary and repeatedly needed fix on the users, go find and fix the issue!

If DropBox is now priding itself on its App and how it looks instead of how it performs for its customers then quality is slipping and it is time to find a new software.

If this isnt fixed soon I will either drop back to a previous version or look for a new platform.

Thank you!

Lori

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @TazzyT!

This was a step I suggested for joaomarquesfran to try, as another user here let us know that this method stopped the File Explorer from crashing again when opening files locally.

It's always good to try all the troubleshooting steps, even if it's something that worked for one person and not another.

I can see that you're in contact with our Support team via email and my team member recently replied to you, so please check your inbox when you have a moment.

I'd suggest staying in contact with them there as they would be best equipped to help you with this from here on out. If you try any of the steps mentioned here, you can just let them know the results via your communication.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

joaomarquesfran
Helpful | Level 5
I can open files via app (v86.4.146) and via the website and the problem does persist. As soon as i try to navigate through the folder the file explorer freezes; it eventually opens the folder but it takes around 2min per folder to unfreeze. I can open the folders just fine using another file explorer alternatives such as Universal windows platform All my work files are inside this dropbox folder, this is such a painnnn, i am losing so much time it's not even funny.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info @joaomarquesfran.

I've reached out to the email linked with your Community profile so we can have a better look into this.

If you'd like to, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

agomulka
Explorer | Level 4

Still having this problem. Should I be put in contact with support as well?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to us here @agomulka!

Just before I reach out to you through Support, can you just let me know if you have any antivirus programs (eg. Bitdefender) installed on your computer?

If so, can you try temporarily disabling them and let me know if there is any change in behaviour?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

agomulka
Explorer | Level 4

Daphne,

I do not have any antivirus programs installed. I'm running Windows 10 x64 bit - I just use the built in stuff.

PeppeVaro
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

Since I moved to paid Dropbox the performance of my Notebook have degrated a lot.

When Creating a new Folder or file, as well as just attempting to rename a file, the system freeze for 10 to 20 seconds. I have a second PC synched and I get the ping that the new folder was created in half of that time, but I still don't see the new folder created for 10+ sec.

I have 200GB out of 2TB in dropbox and the problem is on both Notebook I have. On one I am using Selective Sync and the other Notebook I am synching all folders except a couple.

I am using Windows 10, on a Lenovo Thinkpad with a i7 8th gen with 16GB RAM , so even if Dropbox is consuming a lot of RAM I was assuming the large RAM consumption is not a problem.

Yet, I cannot stand the system soo slow and continuew freezing everytime I create or rename a file or folder.

Did you see a similar problem? Any suggestion on how to resolve, please?

I like the Dropbox functionality and would like keeping using it but I cannot work with such stops on my working so frequent and impacting productivity.

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Peppe

Need more support?