cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My desktop Dropbox does not open

Explorer | Level 4

Last week I had a technician optimizing my PC. After that, Dropbox icon stopped working at all. I clicked and nothing. After rebooting and trying several times, I uninstalled and reinstalled, and it still didn't work. I also tried this suggested solution to a problem similar to mine, but I had trouble entering the text in terminal. I copy the error there (it's in Spanish, my native language; I put my translation after that):

C:\Users\nsche>sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old
"sudo" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes executable.

["sudo" is not recognized as an internal or external command, program or executable by bulk archive]

Can anybody help me? The technician who worked with the computer already abandoned the case...

Thanks!

Nicolás.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: My desktop Dropbox does not open

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Could it be that there's a third party app, like a security app or an antivirus, running that's hindering the desktop app's startup process?

For this reason, could you try temporarily disabling/closing them to see if there's any improvement? 

Let me know of any updates, @nscheines!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @nscheines, great work on the troubleshooting! Let’s see what we can do on this.

As a first step, just to make sure that we’re on the same page, could you send me the exact error log that you get?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, @Lusil thank you for your interest in my case.

Actually, I do not receive ANY error message at all. It's just that nothing happens when I click the icon (and I used several ways to open Dropbox, but they just don't do anything).

The only message is when I tried that thing with th terminal, and I copied the exact message that I received there...

I hope you can help me anyway.

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @nscheines

Have you tried rebooting your computer? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Also, if you see the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over it? 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Of course I tried rebooting! And no, I cannot send a picture because that’s the question: the icon does not appear at all, so I cannot sync my archives. I try to launch it throgh different buttons (direct access, folder, etc.) and it just doesn’t appear...
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Could it be that there's a third party app, like a security app or an antivirus, running that's hindering the desktop app's startup process?

For this reason, could you try temporarily disabling/closing them to see if there's any improvement? 

Let me know of any updates, @nscheines!

Lusil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I tried that, and I think it was it: now Dropbox opens and syncs! I should write Avast people about this problem, now...

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?