cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My desktop app is "Waiting to be linked to an account". What can I do?

My desktop app is "Waiting to be linked to an account". What can I do?

dudley13
Explorer | Level 3

Hi I woke this morning to find my drop box logo and its greyed out can anyone help please

it says waiting to sync with an account

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: lost my drop box

Rich
Super User II

dudley13 wrote:

which is strange - do I need to see if I have to log out of the other first?

Yes. You can only link your computer to one account at a time (unless you're a member of a Business account and connect a Personal account to it).

If you have difficulty unlinking from the previous account, it would be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the Dropbox client, then logging in with the account you wish to link to. This will also ensure that you get the latest version of the Dropbox client.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Have you clicked on it? Does it prompt you to link to your account? If so, have you entered your account credentials?

Also, have you tried logging in to the Dropbox website to verify your account is active?

dudley13
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich thanks so much for getting back to me.

When I click it is says waiting to be linked to a drop box account.

When I try to sign in it doesnt give me the opportunity to sign in - I have 2 accounts and the one I dont require keeps coming up but it doesnt offer me to sign in under my other account, which is strange - do I need to see if I have to log out of the other first?

Rich
Super User II

dudley13 wrote:

which is strange - do I need to see if I have to log out of the other first?

Yes. You can only link your computer to one account at a time (unless you're a member of a Business account and connect a Personal account to it).

If you have difficulty unlinking from the previous account, it would be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the Dropbox client, then logging in with the account you wish to link to. This will also ensure that you get the latest version of the Dropbox client.

View solution in original post

dudley13
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Rich

I am currently updating my time machine as I type and id previously checked there were no pending soft wear updates.

When this is completed I will try to uninstall and reinstall from the link provided.

My main concern is ALL my office is in here and I need to retrieve the folders. I saw the folders this morning and now they have disappeared with NO warning or advise what to do.

I will have to go back to using memory sticks at this rate as I don't trust this now.

I will let you know how I get on.

If it was a case of upgrading - or paying more it would of been nice to know but to take my files and not let me access them without guidance is unprofessional.

I thought at first someone had hacked them!

Lets see what happens next - thank you so much for coming back to me

I wish there was a number to call - I don't care how much it is I just need my business back!

Rich
Super User II

dudley13 wrote:
If it was a case of upgrading - or paying more it would of been nice to know but to take my files and not let me access them without guidance is unprofessional.

Dropbox didn't take your files. It can't prevent you from accessing them, nor can it delete files without you initiating it. Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like any other. There's nothing special about it. If the Dropbox folder has disappeared, then something else has caused it.

If you're not able to access the files on your computer for whatever reason, remember that you can always sign in to the Dropbox website and access them there until you resolve the issue on your computer.

dudley13
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich thats good to know - phew

I cant sign in so I cant retrieve them - I have 2 accounts and when I open the ones that I can access they don't have all my files in - so I must have another account but cant find it. - I shared the account and they have the other persons photos in but not my files and I'm concerned as it holds my accounts data for paying wages.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dudley13 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?