cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My desktop app is stuck at syncing and I have a ticket with the support team. Any ideas?

My desktop app is stuck at syncing and I have a ticket with the support team. Any ideas?

Jaketnt
Explorer | Level 4
  • I'm having major syncing problems with the windows desktop app
  • I've lost almost two days of pruductivity, I'm a small business owner trying to get back to work in the midst of Covid-19 and it's extremely frustrating that I can't perform basic functions using dropbox.
  • Had to remove older dropbox app, clear registries, folders, etc etc, restart computer, download and install the latest version, restart computer, let the new version index and sync for 1/2 a day, and just when it has fully indexed all the existing files (190,000+), it started chocking when I saved a couple of new folders using the app, it was stuck syncing anywhere from 7 to 32 files for hours!!
  • I unlinked the dropbox app, and relinked it (as suggested by the help center) and it is back to indexing and resyncing 190,000+ files again!! Are you serious? I'm supposed to get assistance from advanced technical support but when is that going to happen. 
  • Why am I even using this service anymore, it appears that a lot of corner were cut prior to releasing newer versions. I should be getting a refund. 
3 Replies 3

Re: My desktop app is stuck at syncing and I have a ticket with the support team. Any ideas?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Jaketnt, thanks for reaching out to us and I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. 

First off, great work on the troubleshooting you've carried out so far with out, it definitely helps with narrowing down our investigation. 

Since you mention that you received assistance from our technical support, I was able to locate the ticket in question and can see that it's with a specialized member of the team. 

In the meantime, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you click on the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock? 

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Latest Dropbox App has major basic design flaws

Jaketnt
Explorer | Level 4

Part 2

• Got assistance from Advanced technical support 
  • I've spend 2 days working on every step recommended to fix the Dropbox problem: drag some files out of Dropbox, remove the app, download the new app over night (painfully slow by the way), enter all the recommended C prompt settings and reactive the app under my username again.
  • Let the app sync, now that has finally fully synced, I started reinserting the removed folders little by little (because I know if I drag and drop and large folder it's going to choke and crash the system.)
  • Even as I'm  inserting on small folder at a time, the computer and cursor freeze for several minutes until Dropbox and it has fully synced the new added folder. What that means is that I cannot keep working on while I'm adding or deleting files from Dropbox app. 
  • The larger the file size is being added or deleted from the Dropbox app, the longer it freezes the computer and you have to wait staring at a frozen screen, until it finally syncs and they allows you to go back to work.
  • It is truly shocking that I cannot longer complete basic tasks in the Dropbox app without interrupting the work flow. It used to be perfectly fine before. The new version has added bells and whistles and can be connected to gmail and all this other fancy **bleep**, but the basic functionally of Dropbox, which is to seamlessly add, save and share files in the cloud, has been totally compromised and I don't think Dropbox has an answer for it. I can't be the only one having this issue, I mean is a technical team working on these glitches?
  • Do I need to upgrade my account to business or something more expensive so that I get the support I need?
  • At this rate, I've lost so much time trying to fix the Dropbox app and if things don't improve I'm being forced to migrate to another cloud service such as Google Drive or something that allows me to do basic cloud storage and sharing functions without continuosly affecting my workflow.

Re: Latest Dropbox App has major basic design flaws

Jaketnt
Explorer | Level 4

Once again as expected, the dropbox app stopped syncing and it's been stuck syncing/indexing for over 3 days.  I'm stuck, can't do my work, I'm so frustrated and fed up with dropbox and their faulty program,  it is costing money and my productivity has gone the drain.  Customer service has once again escalated the problem to advanced technical support and I haven't received any response in 48 hours+ after contacting them.  Furthermore, advanced technical support obviously hasn't been able to address the root of the problem in two prior instances, The only solution they seem to offer is to keep downloading dropbox all over again. If they don't offer a real solution this time around to what appears to be a basic problem, I'm going to have to get rid of dropbox and switch over to another reliable cloud storage provider. 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?