cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My desktop app is stuck syncing files and the number keep changing, what can I do?

My desktop app is stuck syncing files and the number keep changing, what can I do?

SusieJulia
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone, 

I work remotely as a graphic designer and the company I work for uses Dropbox extensively for all their projects. Yesterday, I encountered some weird syncing issues that have been going on for the better part of yesterday night and today as well. 
I think as I was working on some projects yesterday, I clicked into some other project files and they all began syncing. After a while I noticed that Dropbox was trying to sync 142 files and there was no time estimate. I tried to right click and return these files to online only since they were not needed locally, but it didn't work. My friend from work told me to try selective sync and just delete those folders from my computer. I ended up deleting a whole bunch of folders that were not needed, and although the number of syncing files went down from 142, it is STILL syncing. This morning it was only syncing 10 files, but now it has incrementally gone up so that it is currently at 41 files. 

I have NO idea what is going on, it is super frustrating. Working on web dropbox slows me down and I need to have the actual program work for me. 

Any suggestions, please help! 😞 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files syncing forever

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @SusieJulia,

If you haven't already, can you restart your device to refresh the elements of the Dropbox app and see if that does the trick?

If not, is it possible that you have symlinks currently within the Dropbox folder? The issue you mentioned can be caused by trying to sync these. If you're not sure and want to check if that's the case then you can find the steps to locate them in point 7 listed here.

Otherwise, can you check if the desktop app is reporting any syncing issues by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right corner.
  3. From the menu, choose "View sync issues".

If you see any errors reported in the window there then please feel free to send a screenshot, excluding any personal info.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @SusieJulia,

If you haven't already, can you restart your device to refresh the elements of the Dropbox app and see if that does the trick?

If not, is it possible that you have symlinks currently within the Dropbox folder? The issue you mentioned can be caused by trying to sync these. If you're not sure and want to check if that's the case then you can find the steps to locate them in point 7 listed here.

Otherwise, can you check if the desktop app is reporting any syncing issues by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right corner.
  3. From the menu, choose "View sync issues".

If you see any errors reported in the window there then please feel free to send a screenshot, excluding any personal info.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

SusieJulia
New member | Level 2

HI Daphne! 

thanks for the quick response. I uninstalled Dropbox and re-installed it, selective synced just what I needed, and everything works now!

Thanks again 🙂 

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @SusieJulia!

Also, thanks for updating us here with the steps that helped to resolved your issue, this will be helpful to others who might be having the same issue.

If you have any other issues with this then please feel free to just give me a nudge here and I'll be more than happy to help. :grin:

Have a great day - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?