cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My desktop app keeps on "Connecting..." endlessly

Helpful | Level 5

I can log in to Dropbox on the Web from a browser on my MacBook Pro and my files are all there. But when the Dropbox app launches at startup, all I get in the menu bar pulldown menu is the message "Connecting..." with an endless rotating arrow.  I have restarted the app restarted the machine, used a different network connection, everything I can think of.  

It told me my account was not linked to this computer. (I just got it back from Apple repair for battery replacement. Nothing was changed on the SSD; it did not even log me out.) So following the help page, I unlinked it manually, but cannot re-link it so far as I can tell. All I get on the Mac is the constant "Connecting..." message, although I can log in via the Web, and can log in via my mobile device (iPad Pro). 

Ideas?  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: My desktop app keeps on "Connecting..." endlessly

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists @mcb-dolphin - at this point I'd suggest a clean, advanced re-install of our software since we've excluded all other factors. 

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Walter, that seems to have done the trick. Exactly what happened is not at all clear to me, nor why it was impossible simply to relink the computer with a simple authentication screen.  

I would appreciate if you would pass on to whomever manages the UX or documentation group that the online help files are confusing and difficult to follow, contain ambiguities and missing information, and make assumptions that are inconsistent about the configuration of the user's system.  I'd be happy to go through these line by line but that should probably be in a different forum.  Again, thanks, and I hope I never have  to go through that again!

Dropbox is a great product which I use many times a day, but it is unfortunate that the documentation and online help do not match the excellence of the implementation itself.  (By the way, I worked in the tech industry from 1984 until retiring last year, and I have worked as a tech writer, manager of publications, UNIX sysadmin, IT manager and director, and finally VP of operations, so I'm pretty familiar with the field.) 

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @mcb-dolphin - sorry to hear about this.

Usually, such issues arise due to an antvirus, a firewall or a VPN/proxy setting on your computer and to resolve it, you can try temporarily disabling or uninstalling your antivirus or security program, and then restart your computer.

From that point, you can re-install our software using our offline installer for Macs directly.

If the issue is resolved after temporarily disabling or uninstalling your antivirus or security program, you should ensure that you configure these applications not to block Dropbox if you choose to reinstall these.

Let me know how it goes!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter, thanks for the quick response.  Unfortunately none of these things appear to have fixed the problem.  Specifically:

1. I do not use an antivirus program. (I install and run Malwarebytes manually if there is any sign of malware, which has not happened in several years.)

2. There is no firewall configured. 

3. I do not use a VPN, and Proxy in Dropbox prefs is explicitly set to "None". 

4. I have downloaded and installed the current version of the Mac desktop app (v64.4.141), which is set to launch on reboot.  

After reboot, the Dropbox app appeared in my menu bar, but still shows "Connecting..." and never connects.  As before, I am able to access my Dropbox via the web browser, and upload files manually from my Mac, which are then synced normally and accessible from my other devices, but I am unable to use the Dropbox app itself on my Mac. 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.8 GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, macOS Mojave 10.14.1

Any further advice would be very much appreciated.  Thanks. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear this persists @mcb-dolphin - at this point I'd suggest a clean, advanced re-install of our software since we've excluded all other factors. 

Keep me posted!

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Walter, that seems to have done the trick. Exactly what happened is not at all clear to me, nor why it was impossible simply to relink the computer with a simple authentication screen.  

I would appreciate if you would pass on to whomever manages the UX or documentation group that the online help files are confusing and difficult to follow, contain ambiguities and missing information, and make assumptions that are inconsistent about the configuration of the user's system.  I'd be happy to go through these line by line but that should probably be in a different forum.  Again, thanks, and I hope I never have  to go through that again!

Dropbox is a great product which I use many times a day, but it is unfortunate that the documentation and online help do not match the excellence of the implementation itself.  (By the way, I worked in the tech industry from 1984 until retiring last year, and I have worked as a tech writer, manager of publications, UNIX sysadmin, IT manager and director, and finally VP of operations, so I'm pretty familiar with the field.) 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know about this @mcb-dolphin - I'll be passing your comments along to our dev team for any possible future improvements; thanks so much for your feedback.

Should you need anything else in the meantime, just let me know. 

Have a great week ahead too!

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?