cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dropbox folder got renamed using the name of someone that sent me some files

My dropbox folder got renamed using the name of someone that sent me some files

TommyV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry if this isn't the correct board.  I couldn't find an Issues category.

A friend sent me some files, and somehow in the process of retrieving those files my entire dropbox space (namespace? folder hierarchy) got renamed.  It's now

<His name> Dropbox

both on my local drives and, I think, online.  It looks like he has access to all of my dropbox folders now.  I don't know what I did that caused this result, and he's not very computer savvy at all, so won't be any help.  He appears to be the admin and I'm a member.

How to I separate my dropbox area from his?

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TommyV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
FYI - eventually I rcved a notification that the biz Acct had expired, and when I went in to see if I could still access my files I was presented with an option to disconnect from the biz acct. I was very happy to see that, and much to my relief, it worked!

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @TommyV, I hope you're well today!

It sounds like you've joined a Business team there. When syncing your account as part of a Business team, your Dropbox folder is named "[Team name] Dropbox".

You can check if this is the case by having a look at your Plan page here. What plan does that page show? This will help us with the correct steps to proceed.

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TommyV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your rapid reply!  It does look like I've joined his business account.  I certainly didn't intend to do so, and what the heck happened to my account?  Can I unjoin from his account?

The PLAN tab shows this:

Dropbox Business Standard trial

You’re a member of the Sam Loria Dropbox account.

----

THe GENERAL tab shows my name, photo and email address.  Billing tab shows my monthly payments.

How do I disconnect from Sam's trial account?

Thanks,

Tom

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
@TommyV wrote:

I certainly didn't intend to do so, and what the heck happened to my account?

Technically, your account no longer exists. It's part of the Business account now. If you had a paid account, any remaining time you had left on your subscription would have been refunded to the payment method on file.

Can I unjoin from his account?

If you leave the account or you're removed from it, your account is deleted along with all content. Instead, you need the team admin to convert your account back to an individual account. If you had a paid subscription previously, you'll need to resubscribe.

TommyV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
FYI - eventually I rcved a notification that the biz Acct had expired, and when I went in to see if I could still access my files I was presented with an option to disconnect from the biz acct. I was very happy to see that, and much to my relief, it worked!

Thanks for your help.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that @TommyV!

If you need anything else, feel free to give me a nudge here. :grin:

Have a great day ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    TommyV New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?