cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dropbox for mac won't connect!

My dropbox for mac won't connect!

Prince S.
New member | Level 1

My dropbox for mac was working fine, I turned on my computer and now its just stuck on "Dropbox is starting" and the status bar just shows "connecting". I haven't changed any of my settings, I don't have a firewall or proxy setup. I went into my account through Safari and unlinked my mac. The application won't give me the option to sign in and when I go to settings<account it just says that my computer isn't linked to a account. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and I'm having the same problem. Please help! 😃

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: My dropbox for mac won't connect!

Prince S.
New member | Level 1

Hey everyone,

I spoke with Dropbox and they gave me some steps that worked.

To ensure that the software is working correctly, I’d like you to do a complete reinstall to try to fix the problem. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing in case you need to re-apply these settings upon re-install.

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):

- Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
- Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

2. Download the newest version:

www.dropbox.com/install

3. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

4. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, ONE AT A TIME, and press ENTER after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER.

Please note that you could see an error message regarding the existence of the folder ".dropbox-master" when you run the fifth of the following lines. This is completely normal and you can go on with the next line.

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo mv ~/.dropbox-master ~/.Trash/dropbox-master.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

5. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

6. Restart Dropbox from the Applications folder, then please sign in and apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

If Dropbox still doesn't start then please copy and send me the result from the Terminal commands. Alternatively, if it's easier you can also take a screenshot and attach it to your reply.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Nicole S.23
New member | Level 1

I'm having the exact some issue. I even deleted and re-downloaded dropbox on my computer several times. I also restarted my computer a few times. I had it on my computer before but I had to erase everything and restart my computer from scratch because of a virus and now it won't connect again.

Kristina G.3
New member | Level 2

Hi I have exactly the same issue. I've tried everything and nothing helped me to fix this. I have this problem with my Mac Book Pro with OS Yosemite, but on my iMac (OS Yosemite) everything is just ok.

Did you found any fixes?

Thanks,
K.G

Jeremy Maxwell
New member | Level 2

Same exact issue. I have to turn my Wifi off then on again, and that usually kicks it. But it's a mystery why this suddenly started happening and why the wifi on/off trick only occasionally works.

Anthony K.12
New member | Level 1

Exactly the same issue. For two home mac computers.

Rinat R.
New member | Level 2

I had the same problem. It was the proxy. In my settings it was set on automatic proxy configuration. When I canceled it, it solved the problem...

mick g.4
Explorer | Level 3

same issue - tried above fixes: nada - has anyone heard from DROPBOX? 

ayah l.
New member | Level 2

I have this same issue. Dropbox is stuck linking and doesn't even give me the sign in window when I run it. I'm running on mac os 10.9.5

Has anybody been able to fix this? I tried above suggestions with no luck.

Annabel a.
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone heard from dropbox on this one?

David K.37
New member | Level 1

Same problem cannot get dropbox to connect

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Prince S. New member | Level 1
    Kyle W.2 New member | Level 1
    Annabel a. New member | Level 1
    David K.37 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?