cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My iMac is slow when running Dropbox. Any ideas why and what to do?

My iMac is slow when running Dropbox. Any ideas why and what to do?

hold-up
New member | Level 2

My Lare 2013 Imac 3,4 Intel i5 32 ram run very slow with DropBox 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: My iMac is slow when running Dropbox. Any ideas why and what to do?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @hold-up , sorry to hear about this.

If you are indeed experiencing high CPU usage from the Dropbox application, you may want to review the following article first which covers common causes of high CPU usage and the steps to resolve these: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage

If you are unable to resolve the issue with this information, please let me know. Thank you.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @hold-up , sorry to hear about this.

If you are indeed experiencing high CPU usage from the Dropbox application, you may want to review the following article first which covers common causes of high CPU usage and the steps to resolve these: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage

If you are unable to resolve the issue with this information, please let me know. Thank you.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Richard D.15
New member | Level 2

I just got a new iMac with Catalina.  When Dropbox syncs the system overheats.  How do I stop this?  

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Richard D.15 - welcome to our Community!

At first, have you rebooted your computer since you first noticed the overheats?

Did you get the chance to go through the Help Center article I linked to in my comment above yours as it addresses most of the causes of high CPU usage?

On a relevant note, I was wondering what your desktop app's exact status is at the moment (as shown within your computer's menu bar). Could you have a look there and let me know what it reports?

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?