cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files...GONE

My public links are no longer working

hypnocoach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

All my public links are suddenly not working. I noticed that the previously copied link URL that I've given to people to access the file had "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com" as the first part of the url name. But now when I am copying the link, the first part of the url name is "https://www.dropbox.com"

I assume this is the issue, but why did this change?

I also noticed the selection option in the dropdown menu that appears when I right click on the file in my Public dropbox folder to be able to copy it has changed. It no longer has the dropbox symbol to the left and says "Copy dropbox link" whereas before I believe it said "Share dropbox link." And above that option, there is something with the dropbox symbol next to it that says "Share..." (that wasn't there before) and gives the option of entering an email address to send it to, or copying the link (also with the beginning url as ""https://www.dropbox.com"

Now not only do I have to recopy the URL's for all my active clients' files that they need to get to, but ALL the numerous "permanent files" that I have stored in Dropbox to access as clickable links on my several websites, in blog posts and online articles, in documents that people have downloaded, in my autoresponders are NOT WORKING. There's no way I can find and replace them all. What is going on?!!

49 Replies 49

BensonX
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So apparently DropBox is ahead of schedule with disabling this functionality for PAYING users as well. As of 45 minutes ago, ALL of my Public files and existing Links are now broken. All the links are still intact and correct, but no HTML page will display content from my 'Public/Shared' folder. 

I am a paying Plus subscriber, and have paid almost $200 for this "sharing" service (as you so aptly title it, Rich) and now I have been forced to find an immediate alternative to accomplish what DropBox should be doing until September (as a Plus subscriber). 

I truly hope your company loses a ton of high-paying Clients over this ordeal; what used to be an intuitive and user-friendly product has turned into nothing more than finger pointing game of who should be hosting this or that, whose bandwidth is supplying the content, yada-yada-yada. 

thomas-garuda
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
When did you send out mail to notify your users about this major change - I just went through my mail AND spam-filter and no mail from Dropbox regarding this.

This has costed us at least two working days to change all our links in webpages, mails and stylesheet references.

And for all I know you may change this again tomorrow without notifying your users. We are looking for alternatives to dropbox as I write this.

olivier w.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mark,

some people without Dropbox told me my links weren't working, so i tried to test it by my self. It is actually working well, but the download link is not very obvious for everyone.

Jacqueline E.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
the link you have as a solution comes up as an error message 😞

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Jacqueline E. wrote:
the link you have as a solution comes up as an error message 😞

It just had an extra period at the end, likely because the link was at the end of the sentence. I've edited the post to correct. Here's the link again:

Jacqueline E.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
awesome!! thanks

billmoree
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I love Dropbox and it is critical to my business.

But you keep writing "Share Link, which replaced the Public folder functionality in 2012 (with emphasis)."

Maybe it "replaced" Public Folders in your mind, but if people aren't using "Shared Links" (whatever that is) and we've been using Public folders this whole time, then they haven't really replaced anything, have they.

If you could explain WHY you are removing Public folders, I can get my head around this. I have been a Pro or Premium user (with Ratpack) since 2011, and Public folders is the only Dropbox function that I use. THAT is what Dropbox is in my mind.
I think that you may have gotten out ahead of your customers here, and haven't communicated what and why you are doing this.

manathungearun1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I use two paid Dropbox accounts to store audio files for my web site. I have created thousands of links from the two Public folders to my website. All of my existing links have stopped working after, 1 September 2017. Now all of a sudden people cannot download or listen to the audio from my web site. This is a very major issue. I am now aware that Dropbox has stopped sharing the links even in paid accounts after the 01 September 2017.

So far I haven't received replies to my requests from the Dropbox Support.

I don't want to create new links to thousands of the audio files. Besides that will not help regarding the links already sent out to my clients through Newsletters, as those are the old existing links.

Could Dropbox kindly re-activate the existing links?

amitsinha
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
what is the solution

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Hi manathungearun1 - no they wont reactivate them. The service is no longer available as was advised in Sept. 2016 that it would be removed. As of 1st Sept. those links are no longer working. This is for everybody.

You need to find another solution now I'm afraid.

To track your ticket, however, you can do so at http://dropbox.zendesk.com - but I'm afraid the answer will be the same.

@amitsinha - use the new sharing features at www.dropbox.com/help/167

Also. To keep things central I'm closing this thread. Please read and post follow ups, if necessary over at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing-and-collaboration/Ending-support-of-public-folder/m-p/197906...

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?