cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Cold Storage!

Need Help with Cold Storage!

Jenigreni
Explorer | Level 3
I moved a bunch of files to Dropbox and made it “Cold Storage”, but it doesn’t seem to work and my laptop is so full now I am having trouble working with it. What have I missed? Thanks for any suggestions!
6 Replies 6

Re: Need Help with Cold Storage!

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @Jenigreni, thanks for posting your question here.

Once you install the app on your computer, it'll create a Dropbox folder. The Dropbox files you see on the website will be synced there.

However, they'd take up hard drive space since they are downloaded to the device. 

Can you also check, and make sure you haven't accidentally enabled Computer Backup?

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jenigreni
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your reply Lori, I am not sure of anything, but the idea of Cold Storage is to have some documents and files only in the cloud. There’s 2 terabytes to play with in the cloud, while my computer can only hold a much smaller amount of data. By putting files in Cold Storage I should get more room on my laptop. I followed the directions but it doesn’t seem to be working???? I don’t believe I set it to computer back up, but I swill check to see if I can even find it. Thanks for your help!

Mark
Super User II

@Jenigreni 

Hi 🙂

I think you've misunderstood what Dropbox is. Dropbox isnt cloud storage as such. Its a syncing tool. It is designed and intended to have everything on all your devices - to replace the need for USB pens to move things between them. 

You CAN set things to not appear on the laptops or devices, but, then you'd need to go and download them manually before you could open and work on them. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jenigreni
Explorer | Level 3
I have no recollection of setting up “Computer Back up” is it possibly a standard feature? If so why wouldn’t the instructions for making “Cold Storage” let us know.

Jenigreni
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori and anyone else with this problem. It turns out I just needed to turn on Smart Sync Update. This is all new to me. Thanks for your support! - Jeni

Jenigreni
Explorer | Level 3

I don't understand. I have 2 TB of storage on Dropbox, but my laptop only holds 251 GB Flash Storage. On the Dropbox website they talk about "Cold Storage", it's' supposed to be basically stored and available via Dropbox but not on my computer. What you're saying doesn't jive with what the Dropbox folks have written in their documentation. Nevertheless, I just selected 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jenigreni Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?