cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a picture of Dropbox icon in system tray for new users

Need a picture of Dropbox icon in system tray for new users

dream521
Explorer | Level 3

I'm a new user and I was completely stymied when I was told to click on the avatar in the right hand corner of the app and find Preferences. I clicked on the Dropbox icon I had pinned to the task bar, found the avatar, clicked on it, but no matter how often I did that, all I got was a larger copy of the avatar. NO drop-down menu at all. I spent more than half an hour trying to follow this simple instruction, but no luck. I was so frustrated (especially after spending more time trying to figure out how to ask for help--none is available on the weekends!) that I almost asked for my $127 back and gave up on you. Melissa on Monday told me to look in "the system tray" for the icon, near the battery icon--and there it was, a little tiny icon that might be the Dropbox icon, though it had a red notification circle on one corner, and looked more like a strange flower. The problem was that no one had ever told me that the task bar was only PART of the bar at the bottom of the window; the right side of it was something else, the "system tray." I would like to URGE you to put a PICTURE of that system tray, with the usual complement of icons that show up there AND the Dropbox icon (with and without the red notification badge). Melissa, my customer support person, sent me "a screenshot of what the Dropbox icon looks like on the system tray" but when I clicked on the link (and the links on the page that link took me to), there were no pictures of the system tray with the icon. Such a small thing, but so easily fixed and so helpful to someone who is less knowledgeable than average. Instead of the moving pictures on the right side of the instructions, have some helpful pictures that STAY STILL so that the user is able to see and use them. 

I have no idea what Canonical URL, SEO Title, and SEO Description below mean, so this is the best I can do with this post. Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Re: Need a picture of Dropbox icon in system tray for new users

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @dream521; thanks for joining our Community!

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback on this and sorry to hear for the frustration this has caused thus far.

I assume you might have found out by now, but -just in case- can you check the relevant documentation and let me know if it helps or if you'd like something particular added there?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dream521
Explorer | Level 3

No, Walter, it doesn't really help, since it's exactly the way it was a week ago when I was so frustrated. I'm asking for a picture of the system tray with the Dropbox icon in it (I tried to take one and paste it in here, but the field doesn't allow it), and a clear discussion of the difference between that icon and the larger Dropbox icon that can be pinned into the task bar. I can't believe I'm the only user who is inexperienced enough not to recognize that the task bar and the system tray are two opposite ends of the same Windows area, and that the icons that appear in those two areas are different. I still don't know why clicking on the Dropbox icon in the task bar did not get me to the same place as I would have gotten by clicking on the Dropbox icon in the system tray (if I had ever seen it). I don't understand what the difference is between them. I think one is the Dropbox Folder (on the task bar) and the other is the Dropbox icon--but how are they different? Why can't I find Preferences (for example) when I click on the Dropbox icon in the task bar? (Which is what I did over and over again when I got so frustrated last week.) Anyway, thanks, Walter, for responding. I know it's probably on me to understand the difference between the task bar and the system tray, but I didn't, and a picture would have helped. 

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks so much for your swift response and additional information on this, @dream521

I think you're referring to a shortcut to the desktop app or perhaps the Dropbox folder on your computer, but a screenshot would definitely help to see if that's the case indeed here. 

Since you weren't able to attach one in your reply, you could upload it to your account and share a link to it instead. 

Thanks again!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dream521
Explorer | Level 3

I'll have to get back to you later--I have a Zoom meeting in a couple of minutes. Thanks.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @dream521, I just wanted to check in and see if you have any updates on this? 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    dream521 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?