cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a way to either disable previews or change default app for pdf

Need a way to either disable previews or change default app for pdf

cwilson1976
New member | Level 2

We have several elderly users of various skill levels that are having an issue. 

They have the desktop app installed on their computers. And when they are going through the files that they share as a group, they open several pdf files and comment on parts of them. 

The issue is 1/2 the time they can only see some of the comments. I have traced this down to being an issue of dropbox opening the files in a preview and not adobe 2020. If I manually open the files by clicking on the ... and going open with it works as it should. 

How can I change the settings so that when they click on the file it will open instead of preview? 

3 Replies 3

Re: Need a way to either disable previews or change default app for pdf

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @cwilson1976, and welcome to our Community! 

Can I ask that you clarify how they open the files: through the Website or the Dropbox desktop application? 

You can also check for more info on the Adobe + Dropbox integration here

Let me know if you have any more questions, always here to help!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
? Still stuck? Ask me a question!
? Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cwilson1976
New member | Level 2

The dropbox windows client.
there are 6 users that access these files at any given time
A few of them,  when they access the files, it works the way that it would be expected
they all have Dropbox v119.4.1772 
In the client, if they click on the file, it will open up in adobe acrobat 2020.
and if you look at the open with properties dialog, it shows this order(adobe acrobat 2020, preview, then edge and chrome at the bottom.

on the other hand, when the other users try to access it, they get it opened up by dropbox. 

preview is the only one on the top section a,d acrobat 2020/chrome/edge are at the bottom.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @cwilson1976, sorry to jump in here, but I believe they way files are previewed on a computer is handled by the computer's OS; not Dropbox.

That said, you may want to have them check the app's preferences (in the General tab) and confirm that they have set the app to open their files through their file explorer and not our desktop app.

Keep us posted with any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?