cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Lightroom Syncing Error due to new "Dropbox (Personal)" Folder

Need help with Lightroom Syncing Error due to new "Dropbox (Personal)" Folder

masemase
Explorer | Level 3

Hi -

I got a new iMac the other day and in setting it up I first installed Dropbox, one of the most important elements as I have a 30k+ photo library that I store on there and that a synced Lightroom Catalog points to from my MacBook Pro.

Upon installation it asked me if I also wanted to link my Dropbox business account, which I thought would be fine having never done that before.

The issue now is that because of the business account, the name of my main Dropbox folder is no longer “Dropbox” but rather “Dropbox (Personal)”, which has broken all the links in my Lightroom catalog between the catalog and the folder directories.

My question is this: is there an easy way to “rename” this Dropbox (Personal) folder to just “Dropbox?” I already unlinked my Business account in the hopes that it would rename itself, but it did not. I’m a little scared that renaming the entire folder will really mess things up.

I just learned after browsing some other topics that I cannot rename this folder and that some sort of "Symlink" exists that points "Dropbox (Personal)" to my main Dropbox folder, but that doesn't fix the fact that the directory structure is different now than on my MacBook Pro.

Anyone else have this issue before and/or know how to solve it?

Thanks,
Brandon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I choose a name other than "Dropbox (Personal)" - Hate parentheses

Rich
Super User II

@masemase wrote:

Hi sorry to hijack this thread here,

I've moved your post so the discussion is only taking place in one thread.

Is there any solve here?

I've never known a reboot to remove the (Personal) from a Dropbox folder name after unlinking a Business account. If that works, it's news to me.

If it doesn't work, uninstall Dropbox and rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar, then re-install Dropbox as you normally would. As soon as it's finished it will begin to sync your files. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox, move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the new Dropbox folder, then resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox. It will need to index all of your files, so be patient and let it work.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

masemase
Explorer | Level 3

Hi sorry to hijack this thread here, but I was searching the forums and see that this applies to my issue:

So...I got a new iMac the other day and in setting it up I installed Dropbox, one of the most important elements as I have a 30k+ photo library that I store on there and that a synced Lightroom Catalog points to. 

Upon installation it asked me if I also wanted to link my Dropbox business account, which I thought would be fine having never done that before. 

The issue now is that because of the business account, the name of my main Dropbox folder is no longer “Dropbox” but rather “Dropbox (Personal)”, which has broken all the links in the my Lightroom catalog between the catalog and the folder directories. 

My INITIAL question was this: is there an easy way to “rename” this Dropbox (Personal) folder to just “Dropbox?” I already unlinked my Business account in the hopes that it would rename itself, but it did not. I’m a little scared that renaming the entire folder will really mess things up. 

Now with your answer above it seems as though it's not possible to rename the folder but that there is a symlink; unfortunately, that symlink does not solve my issue of it not being the same directory that my LR catalog points to.

Is there any solve here?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Need help with Lightroom Syncing Error due to new "Dropbox (Personal)" Folder

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @masemase, welcome to the Dropbox Community. 

If you've followed these steps to unlink your device from the Business account and disconnected your personal account from your work one, a reboot should do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

@masemase wrote:

Hi sorry to hijack this thread here,

I've moved your post so the discussion is only taking place in one thread.

Is there any solve here?

I've never known a reboot to remove the (Personal) from a Dropbox folder name after unlinking a Business account. If that works, it's news to me.

If it doesn't work, uninstall Dropbox and rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar, then re-install Dropbox as you normally would. As soon as it's finished it will begin to sync your files. Pause syncing or exit Dropbox, move the content of Dropbox_OLD into the new Dropbox folder, then resume syncing or re-launch Dropbox. It will need to index all of your files, so be patient and let it work.

View solution in original post

masemase
Explorer | Level 3
Ahhhhhh - Dropbox responded on another thread with a solution that didn’t work but THIS sounds like it would work and was what I was considering in a similar but much less elegant fashion! Thank you! This should work!!
Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?