cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to connect 2 email accounts

Need to connect 2 email accounts

New member | Level 2

I bought a new computer and downloaded the Dropbox app on it with my "Home" email address. However, all of my files are in an account on my "work" email account.

I even upgraded the account from Basic to Plus because it said I have too many devices, but I cannot figure out what the weird label for the devices are.

I really just want to talk to somebody. The "Chat Bot" made me nuts

PLEASE HELP!!

Beth 11

3 Replies 3

Re: Need to connect 2 email accounts

Dropboxer

Hi @Beth11; thanks for using Dropbox and welcome aboard!

I'm not sure what exactly is troubling you; can you please elaborate a tad for me? 

If you connected the wrong account to the desktop app on your computer and you'd  like to use another account of yours, you'd need to first unlink the wrong account and then link the correct one through the app's preferences.

In regards to your linked devices, what is the Security tab for each of your accounts showing?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there, Beth. 

PS: For your support entitlements, you can log into your account and go to dropbox.com/support

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

I upgraded to increase the device limit, but I don't know if I'll lose files

New member | Level 2

I posted a problem as "Beth11" and when I tried to read the answer from "Walter" I followed several of the links in his message, but then I could not see how to reply to him, even though it said he needed more information. While clicking on the links, I had to make up a NEW sign in as "Beth 111" because it said I was signed out. This is CRAZY!!

To restate my problem, just in case "Walter" isn't the Community member who reads this message:

I bought a new computer and while setting it up, I downloaded Dropbox, but it said I had too many devices(?) and needed to upgrade to PLUS. So I paid the $119 and thought that I'd be able to sync with my work computer, but because I was using my Google email address, it actually won't sync at all because my work email is different. The PLUS seems to be associated with my home gmail account, but the 2 emails are connected in Dropbox somehow, so when I try to "add" that email it says I can' because it is already used. I am afraid to just delet the new PLUS account for fear I'll loose all of my files from my older computer. I cannot figure out this Community thing, because it isn't clear how to continue a conversation with the same person??!!??

I am extremely frustrated and I think that saving absolutely every file I have created or used in the past 4 years (or longer) will be lost if I try to delete the account that appears to be the problem. Why can't they have a HelpDesk like normal tech companies?

In my older computer (which is actually my personal lapto) and previously (when we used to actually go to a workplace) my work laptop were connected to the same Dropbox account, and it didn't seem to matter where I was or whether I was at work or at home or using my work email or my home email, I could access and save files to my Dropbox. However, the new computer is not linked to that Dropbox account and the new computer is where the PLUS account exists. I went through the steps in all of the HELP documents and kept getting the same message about "that eail address is already used" in circles of repeating steps in the Help documents!

If someone answers this message, PLEASE explain how to reply to you.

Beth 11 & Beth111

Re: Confusion - Can't figure out how to "Reply" to Walter

Dropboxer

Hi @Beth111, thanks for messaging the Community!

If you have a different username, it means you're signed into a different Dropbox account from the previous time you messaged @Walter. Most likely, given your situation, you're messaging from both your work and personal accounts, which would have different email addresses.

I've managed to locate your original thread and have merged this post there.

Since you have two Dropbox accounts, it sounds like you've upgraded one of the accounts. Please could you clarify what you're trying to accomplish so I can assist further. Do you want to merge all your files onto one account, do you want to add a device, or something else?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?