cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to "download proprietary daemon" every time Ubuntu restart.

Need to "download proprietary daemon" every time Ubuntu restart.

Vicon
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have installed Dropbox successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 using the 64-bit .deb installer from from https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

Everything goes well and dropbox has synced all my files properly.

However, each time I start up Ubuntu, Dropbox pops up the window saying "Dropbox is the easiest way to share ... you must download proprietary daemon ..." This is the same window that appeared during the installation, which had been 100% completed since. Each time I click OK, the daemon gets installed without problem and Dropbox works fine.

Without clicking OK and re-downloading the daemon, Dropbox icon will not show up in Ubuntu system bar. It is annoying to have to redo this process every time I start my computer. Could someone help me with this? Thanks.  

14 Replies 14

eddiesaliba
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you!

I replyed another user's solution complementing it.

I guess it solves our problem, until real problem be corrected.

Thanks again!

bnpndxtr
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@eddiesaliba

Wow yes!  I saw the same thing.  When I tried to remove the -i, I found that Dropbox changed it back again.  I like your approach.  But since I didn't think of that, what I did was to simply note what applications I thought were hammering the system, like insync and spideroak, and added delays to their startup slots.  So to be clear, it is still a workaround- Dropbox has to be first LOL.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

On every one run Dropbox application either removes desktop file from autorun (when no selected) or copies dropbox.desktop from applications to autorun. Preventing this action (doesn't matter how) or modifying the source (accordingly) gonna be a workaround. 😉

Edessa56
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My system: Mx Linux 19.1, Xfce4.
Every time the computer starts, Dropbox says "... gpg is not installed!" How to fix the message: I unistalled the "dropbox" with the "purge" command from the terminal, downloaded and installed (deb) from the Dropbox website and restarted the computer. Then I installed "python3-gpg" from Synaptic. OK. Note: The default installation was "nautilus-dropbox". Now only "dropbox" has been installed.

Gausstein
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am really disappointed, the reply given by @Walter of Community Moderator @ Dropbox is not a solution.
I performed the procedure given by @bnpndxtr and @eddiesaliba. Let's hope it will work.
Thanks @bnpndxtr and @eddiesaliba !

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gausstein New member | Level 2
    Edessa56 Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    bnpndxtr Helpful | Level 6
    eddiesaliba Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?